Trinity 3’s bring rugby home

DUFC see off Clontarf in College Park Metro 6 Final


Dublin University FC 3’s (J4) have claimed the Leinster Metro League Division 6 title after winning the League Final against Clontarf FC, on Saturday the 26th of March. Having topped the 6th Division with only one loss in the season, Trinity was awarded a home final, with a 6 o’ clock kick-off in our very own College Park, due to a preceding AIL fixture.

Clontarf, who placed second in the league, were a serious outfit. They were the only team to beat Trinity this year, winning in the first round of the League in Clontarf. Trinity won the return fixture in Santry. However, the winner of the league was yet to be decided in front of a 200 people plus crowd in Trinity College. Clontarf lined out in their usual blue and red stripes, but Trinity forwent their traditional red and black stripes for the ceremonial white kit with a red trim.

The match started off as a tight encounter. Trinity appeared to have the upper-hand, with the most part of the first half hour unfolding in Clontarf’s half. That being said, the intensity of Trinity’s defence played a vital role in maintaining a clean sheet. However, it was College who struck first with, 32 minutes in, out-half and captain Luke Cronin scored directly under the post, which was duly converted by number 13, Guilio Ferrari. Off the restart, Trinity went into touch, but due to a crooked throw, any chance of a Clontarf resurgence after the try was neutralised.

Clontarf’s issues were compounded after being reduced to 14 men, with a yellow card for a high tackle being shown 37 minutes in. DUFC capitalised on their advantage, with hooker Joshua McNeely diving over the try-line on the Pav-side of the pitch, after a beautiful display of handling skills. While the try, scored about 4 metres in from the touch line, went unconverted, it gave Trinity a 12 – 0 cushion at the half time whistle.

“Trinity continued to apply pressure through-out the start of the second half, but a moment of brilliance from winger Henri Ross Pelat putting College further ahead.”

Trinity continued to apply pressure through-out the start of the second half, but a moment of brilliance from winger Henri Ross Pelat putting College further ahead. The winger, after breaking two tackles, scored after a 30 metre or so charge to the line. Converted by Ferrari, Trinity’s 19 points to Clontarf’s nil seemed insurmountable. A wave of substitutions, was enough to see Trinity through to the end.

Clontarf did manage to get a 78th minute converted-try, but it was a case of too little too late with a full-time score a respectable 19-7.

Team captain Luke Cronin was presented the Metro 6 trophy, the first Trinity captain to bring silverware to the club this year. Head coach, Conor Holland, put the success (his first win as a coach) down to the number of men showing up to training week-in week-out and thanked his fellow coaches Niall Foster, David Moran and Séan Briscoe.

Junior Colours & Cup quarter final.

Unfortunately, the 3’s winning streak came to an end, with a tough loss to rivals UCD on Wednesday the 29th in College Park. A series of interceptions by UCD, who’s line speed in defence was phenomenal, put away any hope of a trinity win. However, the team recovered well and, on the following Saturday, beat Greystones 21-35. This 5 try win earns spot in the Winters Cup semi-final on the 15th of April, against St Mary’s in Templeville Road, so if anyone is looking for the perfect T-Ball hangover cure (or day-two roll-over) get on down to support the boys.

A bad day at Belfield

While the 3’s marched on, their teammates on the 4’s couldn’t repeat their 10-5 league win over UCD’s J4s at the start of March in College Park. On Wednesday evening, 5th of April, after an early Trinity try disallowed, UCD punished Trinity mistakes, winning 21-5 in Belfield

Trinity coaches (l-r) Niall Foster, Conor Holland, David Morrin, Seán ‘Brick’ Briscoe and physio Alex Murphy