“Ireland Free Speech Summit” to be held in Trinity featuring right-wing and conservative guests speakers

This is the second notable event hosted by Free Speech Ireland on campus

A “free speech summit”, which will feature Irish and international speakers, has been organised by Free Speech Ireland and will take place today in Trinity’s Thomas Davis lecture Theatre.

Free Speech Ireland is “an advocacy group championing free speech and expression”. It is known for its opposition of the Government’s Hate Speech Bill and certain Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) schemes in third-level education. 

The Ireland Free Speech Summit will “gather Irish politicians and high-profile free speech advocates from across the West to raise awareness about the importance of free speech and threats to this fundamental right”.

Guest speakers include conservative American authors and political pundits such as Michael Shellenberger and Andy Ngo. The co-creator of 90s Irish sitcom Father Ted, Graham Linehan, will also speak at the event.

Linehan has seen a resurgence in relevancy in recent years due to his transphobic views and for being banned on X/Twitter. 

GB News host Father Calvin Robinson is set to speak at the summit, being joined by Irish and British political commentators Laura Perrins and Andy Doyle, who also has a show on GB News.

Gerard Casey and James Orr, both professors of philosophy at University College Dublin and the University of Cambridge, respectively, round out the speakers.

No representation from Trinity will officially be in attendance at the event in spite of its location. 

This is the second event organised by Free Speech Ireland to take place in Trinity, with the group having previously launched “The Trinity Declaration on Academic Freedom and Freedom of Expression” on campus.

The declaration has no affiliation with Trinity College Dublin. However, the group claims to have “a strong presence on campus in terms of student membership”.