Sleepout at Front Arch organised for next week

FLAC is organising the sleepout with TCDSU and the homelessness charity the Peter McVerry Trust

Trinity’s Free Legal Advice Centre (FLAC) is co-organising an annual sleepout in solidarity with homeless people in Ireland, to take place next week.

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) have also participated in organising the sleepout in association with the homelessness charity the Peter McVerry Trust. 

Students are due to camp out next Thursday outside Front Arch.

In the event post, the groups urged students to participate in the sleepout and explained their reasoning for organising the protest, saying: “Sleep out with us and you can help raise much-needed funds for the Peter McVerry Trust whilst also deepening your understanding of the unacceptably challenging circumstances which rough sleepers face night after night.”

The groups emphasised the worsing housing and homelessness crisis, stating: “As of August 2019 there were 10,338 homeless people in the country, more than 900 of whom are young adults. This number has more than doubled since the same period in 2015. Behind these rising figures are individuals with whom we share a common humanity; individuals who are without a home and without a most basic and fundamental human need.” 

The organising groups are recommending students attempt to raise €50 for the sleepout through sponsorship. In their event post, FLAC added: “This is simply a guideline however, and students who do not think they will be able to raise this amount are still more than welcome to participate.” Students must pay €10 deposit on the night.

Undermats will be provided but students must bring their own sleeping-bags and blankets. Tea and tea and coffee will be provided. Students were urged not to bring alcohol and warned that music speakers are prohibited. 

The first annual TCDSU, FLAC and the Peter McVerry Trust sleepout was held in February 2016, and saw around 20 students participate.