DCU appoints Professor Dáire Keogh as next president

Prof Keogh will take up the position in July 2020

Professor Dáire Keogh has been confirmed as the next president of Dublin City University (DCU), following an 18-month long search for the current president’s replacement.

Prof Keogh, who is currently deputy president of DCU and a professor of History, will take up the position in July 2020, when the term of office of the current president, Professor Brian MacCraith, ends.

Six candidates were shortlisted and interviewed before the Governing Authority of DCU approved the appointment of Prof Keogh. 

Prof Keogh was the president of St Patrick’s College Drumcondra from 2012 until 2016 when the college was incorporated into DCU. He has published extensively on the history of popular politics, religion and education in Ireland. 

In a press statement, Prof Keogh said he is honoured to take up the position next July. “DCU is an incredible place, it was the first university to introduce an Access to Education programme and it is a beacon of excellence setting a standard for universities in terms of innovation, engagement, and opportunity,” he said. 

“I look forward to working with my wonderful colleagues to offer the very best to our students and partners. I also look forward to working closely with colleagues in the other Irish universities and higher education institutions, and with the HEA and the government.”

The outgoing president of DCU, Prof MacCraith, welcomed the choice for his successor. “I have worked closely with Professor Keogh for the last seven years and he has been my deputy president for the last four years,” Prof MacCraith said. “So I am very aware of all the strengths and commitment that he will bring to the role and I am very confident that he will advance the university significantly over the coming decade.”

Prof Keogh completed his PhD in history at Trinity. He has served as the vice president of the Irish Federation of University Teachers (IFUT), and is a former Government of Ireland senior research fellow. He is currently principal investigator of an Irish Research Council funded project to publish the mammoth correspondence of Cardinal Paul Cullen. 

Aisling Grace

Aisling Grace was the Editor-in-Chief of the 66th Volume of Trinity News. She was also formerly Online Editor and Deputy News Editor.