SU candidates announced: three uncontested races and unprecedented UT contest

Ten candidates are running in the TCDSU elections

The ten candidates for the upcoming Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU)  sabbatical elections were officially announced on the steps of House 6 this evening by current Education Officer Niamh McCay. Three positions – Welfare Officer, Ents Officer, and Education Officer – will be uncontested, while this year marks the first time the position of University Times Editor will be challenged by two staff members of the newspaper. 

The campaign period begins on February 17, with candidates compiling their campaign teams and creating their manifestos in the interim. Votes will then be cast and counted, and the successful candidates for President, and Education, Welfare, Communications and Marketing officers and University Times Editor announced on February 27.

President

Ryan Carey

Ryan Carey is a Senior Sophister History student from Co. Meath. He is the current Gender Equality Officer, having been elected in one of last year’s most contested part-time officer races. He is also in his second term as Histories and Humanities Convenor and held the position of AHSS Faculty Convenor from January to July 2019.  A former scout, Carey was one of the founding members of DU Rover Society and is currently its first chair. He was involved in the occupation of campus during the Take Back Trinity movement.

Eoin Hand

From Cashel, Tipperary, Eoin Hand is a Senior Sophister Music student. Eoin has performed at Electric Picnic in his capacity as a member of Trinitones, as well as taking an active role in Trinity Musical Society, starring in both Evita and Chicago. He had a leading role in Avenue Q, the JCR musical in 2016. He also supported the Take Back Trinity Campaign in 2017.

Harry Williams

Harry Williams is a Junior Sophister World Religions student and was born in Wales. Williams is currently an analyst at Trinity SMF and the Tour Secretary for the Trinity Hockey Club, and is involved in Enactus TCD. 

Education Officer

Megan O’Connor 

Megan O’Connor is a Senior Sophister nursing student from Kerry. She currently holds the post of TCDSU Off-Campus Officer. 

Welfare Officer

Leah Keogh

Leah Keogh is a Senior Sophister Social Studies student. Currently, she is the Undergraduate School Convenor for her course. Twice elected, Keogh was the Secretary to Council for the 2017/18 and 2018/19 academic years. Additionally, she was the Chair of the Oversight Commission. 

Communications and Marketing

Philly Holmes

Philly Holmes is a Senior Sophister Music student. Since February last year he has been programming the airwaves of Trinity FM as a station manager, and then in April he took up the roles of Public Relations Officer of DUDJ and Tech Officer for the Ents committee. He also has produced visuals for Trinity and commercial organisations.

Hiram Harrington 

Hiram Harrington is a Senior Sophister Film studies and Spanish student. They are editor of the Trinity Film Review, the former SU School of Creative Arts Convenor, and former Q Soc secretary. The past two years, they sat on the Comms Committee. Hiram is also a scriptwriter, theatre publicist, and photographer. Last year, they won Film Script of the Year at the National Student Media Awards, while currently they are directing a show in Smock Allies Scene and Heard festival.

Ents Officer

Hugh McInerney 

Hugh McInerney is a Senior Sophister History student. As host and producer of the Trinity News podcast, he has spoken on a vast range of issues, but one prevalent theme is the difficult but rewarding nature of going sober in a college environment. In his first year, he ran for JCR president. Throughout his time as a student, he has also worked his way up in positions for DU Film Society, having been an Events Officer, Chairperson, and now in charge of exhibitions.

University Times Editor 

Cormac Watson 

Cormac Watson is completing his Senior Sophister year of a History and Political Science degree while serving as Deputy Editor of the University Times under Donal McNamee. In his three and a half years at the University Times he has worked as a Senior Staff Writer, Deputy Sports Editor and Sports Editor. His coverage has centred on the management of Dublin University Central’s Athletic Club (DUCAC). He also examined health science students’ experience while on placement. 

Susie Crawford 

Susie Crawford is currently in her Senior Sophister year of an English Studies degree and serves as Editor of Radius, the University Times supplement centred around Trinity and Dublin based events. Before running Radius, she worked as Deputy Art Editor, and currently manages and writes her own blog. 

Audrey Brown, Alfie Fletcher, Patrick Horan,  Jack Ryan, Maggie Larson, Madalyn Williams, Meadhbh Ní Mhidigh, Patrick Coyle, Shannon Connolly, and Shauna Barron Ward contributed reporting to this article. 

This article was amended on 26/01/2020 at 17.57, a previous version of the article suggested that Hiram Harrington was the publicist for DU Players.