UCC Bystander Intervention Team launch national campaign

The team are to run Bystander Intervention training initiatives for HEI’s on September 3

University College Cork’s (UCC) Bystander Intervention team have launched their national training campaign. 

They are inviting staff and students of Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) to register for the training taking place on September 3.

UCC Bystander Intervention aims to raise awareness of the importance of safe and effective interventions. 

This campaign will encourage staff and students to be active bystanders, and to develop the awareness and skills needed to challenge incidents of sexual harassment and violence in HEIs across Ireland.

Included in the training is a fifteen-minute starter video explaining key concepts relating to being an active bystander. 

The video introduces students to the concept of a “pro-social” bystander, one whose behavior actively benefit others in social situations. 

It also highlights the importance of challenging unacceptable attitudes, language and behaviour, and aims to demonstrate how everyone has a role to play in ensuring a safe and respectful third-level experience.

They are also highlighting that the full Bystander Intervention training programme will continue to be available to all HEIs to upload and deliver through their own institutional Virtual Learning environment.

UCC Bystander Intervention training is also offering an alternative service in which institutions can enrol their students directly on the UCC programme as external users via the UCC Canvas Catalog site. 

The event on September 3 will have several speakers from across the Higher Education sector, including President Union of Students of Ireland Clare Austick, and the Higher Education Authority’s Senior Manager Centre of Excellence for Gender Equality Dr Ross Woods. 

Kate Henshaw

Kate Henshaw is current Editor-in-Chief of Trinity News, and a graduate of Sociology and Social Policy. She previously served as Deputy Editor, News Editor and Assistant News Editor.