Men’s Volleyball secure comeback win

Trinity Men’s Volleyball beat a depleted Santry 3-1 on Thursday evening

Photo by Joe McCallion

Trinity’s men volleyball team came back from one set down to beat Santry 3-1. Trinity started strong in the opening set and took a 3 points to 1 lead. Both teams exchanged points but Santry got the better of the longer rallies and tied the set at 10 points a piece. Santry had the superior defensive play moving into the latter stages of the first set, despite some nice spikes from Trinity. The set was tied again at 15-15 but Santry took control due to some ball-handling errors and wayward hits from Trinity, winning the opening set 25-18.

Once again Trinity were fast out of the blocks in the second set and surged to a 5-0 lead; however, the first long rally of the set went to Santry. These long points tended to swing the momentum. After exchanging missed serves, some sloppy Santry points left Trinity firmly in control at 13-5 going into a Santry timeout. Some heroic Trinity defending from several huge Santry spikes lead to some crucial rally wins and left the score at 18-7. Trinity were in the groove now, and solid contributions from the bench helped TCD take the second set with a convincing 25-11 scoreline and tie the game at 1-1.

Momentum was with Trinity going into the third set. Santry, who lacked any substitutes, started to look weary, Trinity quickly took a 7 point lead. Although Santry fought back, it proved too late, TCD taking the game to 2-1 and looking in control. Trinity’s early set dominance continued into the fourth set, their superior energy and more importantly, quality really becoming evident. Santry however, weren’t going to roll over and tied the set at 14-14, then took the lead, before some strong Trinity serving allowed them to retake the lead at 18-16. Careless ball handling from Santry but the game firmly out of their own reach, with the score at 22-16, Trinity’s win was inevitable. The set finished 25-18 meaning Trinity took the game by 3 sets to 1. Trinity quality and consistency proving too much for a resilient Santry.