Upcoming Summer break will be shorter

College will be beginning on September 3, which is a fortnight shorter than previous Summer breaks

College will be beginning on September 3, two weeks shorter than normal. This is part of Trinity Education Project (TEP) , which is to be launched next academic year. The academic year structure will apply to all undergraduates and postgraduates students from 2018/19.

In an email sent to students by Vice Provost, Chris Morash, students were told that due to the transition to a new academic structure, this upcoming Summer would be shorter. However, the following year, the academic year would be finished earlier, leading to a longer break.

Other changes to the academic year include a change in supplemental exam dates, which will be earlier than usual.

Next year, there will be two semesters, each will include a reading week, one formal assessment week and one revision week, where exams will be held both in December, and in May.

The move hopes to facilitate the spread of different forms of assessment across the academic year and will result in fewer students sitting a large number of exams are the end of the year.

As well as this, the TEP will see a reform in arts degrees, with students to be given more choice when choosing subjects.

TEP is currently in stage four of its implementation, where changes include the introduction of electives across all courses in College.

Seana is a 4th year Geology student and current Deputy News Editor of Trinity News.

Editors

Sarah Meehan

Aisling Crabbe
Natalia Duda
Sarah Morel
Mike Dolan
John Tierney
Naoise Dolan
Sarah Larragy
Mubbashir Ali Sultan
Nadia Bertaud
Daniel Tatlow