McSorley masterclass downs Trinity in Sigerson Cup tie

DKIT ease past Trinity Gaelic Footballers in Sigerson Cup preliminary round tie

Photo: TCD Sport

Dundalk IT (DKIT) made easy work of Trinity College as they progressed from this preliminary round tie of the Sigerson Cup on a blustery night in Santry. The men from the North East had long took the foot off the pedal before the ref blew the final whistle with a final scoreline of 0-10 to 1-18 in favour of DKIT.

DKIT took the lead early on through Tadhg McEneaney, who would prove a thorn in the side of the home outfit throughout. Luke Tynan hit back for Trinity before DKIT established a three-point lead, with Louth poacher Gerard McSorley to the fore. Trinity began to come in to the game more and more as with the corner forward pair of James McGuinness and Dylan Brady trading scores.

Shortly before halftime, the Dundalk men hit their purple patch. The DKIT half forward line reaped the rewards of the swift counterattacking approach employed by their team, increasing the gap between the sides to five points. Then in the 17th minute, the Trinity full back line failed to clear their lines after a long ball from a DKIT free, and the ball was lashed to the net by David McGivney, for the first and only goal of the game.

McSorley and McEneaney poured the pressure on in the remaining first half minutes to bring the score at the break to 1-13 to 0-4. Paddy Christie’s half time words obviously had the desired effect on his charges as they came out with playing with renewed optimism and aggression, claiming the first two scores of the second half through their talisman McGuinness.

However, DKIT dealt with the onslaught well, as Trinity grew frustrated with some of the referee’s decisions and their opponent’s stern defense.

Eoin O’Neill saw red with fifteen minutes to go for an alleged stamp on an opponent, and this along with McSorley’s goal proved to be the deciding factors in a fast paced and well fought game. Magee pointed for Trinity, with the hardworking Paul Lambert and the fresh legs off the Trinity bench battling bravely until the end.

However, DKIT ensured that the result was never under threat, with two more points, one from the foot of Louth panelist Dean Maguire, as the game to an end with the final scoreboard at 0-10 to 1-18. Trinity bow out of this year’s Sigerson Cup with their heads held high, and can look forward to hosting the final of the competition in February, while DKIT advance to face DCU in the next round.