GSU votes to change requirements for prospective sabbatical officers

The vote took place at an emergency general meeting this evening

The Graduate Students’ Union (GSU) has voted to change the requirements for running for its two sabbatical officer positions in an emergency general meeting this evening. An amendment to Article 11 of the Union’s constitution passed, allowing part-time postgraduate students to run for the positions of President and Vice-President.

Shaz Oye, a part-time student in the School of Education and the GSU Equality and Diversity Officer, said when proposing the motion: “I believe our postgrads are eminently fair and reasonable, and I believe you would want to open up the elections to all students.” Oye also noted her intention to run for a sabbatical officer position in the upcoming elections.

Speaking to Trinity News, GSU President Oisin Vince Coulter, said: “Clearly, the members of the Union agreed with those that proposed the amendment that there was an inequality in the Constitution. All members of the Union are now able to engage with and partake fully in the Union, and I hope that this will allow us to be a better Union going forward.”

Three part-time officers of the Union were also open for election, with Swapnil Ingle elected to the position of International Officer, and Sebastien Sauvagnat elected as Events Officer. No candidate ran for the position of Health Science Faculty Representative.

Niamh Lynch

Niamh was Editor of the 65th volume of Trinity News. She is a History and Politics graduate.