Nine rugby club members test positive for Covid-19

Multiple players on the Division 1 rugby team have contracted the virus

Nine members of Trinity Rugby, Dublin University Football Club (DUFC) have tested positive for Covid-19.

Eight members of the club’s Division 1 team have contracted the virus, alongside one coaching figure.

It is understood that the transmission likely took place last week while the team was still training before the implementation of Level Five restrictions.

Players who have tested positive have been advised to self-isolate.

A spokesperson for College told Trinity News that College wishes the players a speedy recovery.

Before the implementation of Level Five restrictions, Dublin was under Level Three, which allowed for some group sports training.

The rugby team had been training together up until the Level Five restrictions were introduced.

“This took place while people were obeying the rules,” the spokesperson said. “It’s an unfortunate side effect of the rules around elite sports that allowed this kind of training.”

“People were honouring the rules, and it just unfortunately happened.”

“People are isolating and the HSE are doing contact tracing,” they said.

This is the first Covid-19 outbreak of its kind that College has recorded among students.

DUFC was among several clubs in Trinity that were given an exemption from certain restrictions on sports under Level Three.

Alongside Men’s 1st rugby, Women’s 1st and Men’s 1st Hockey teams, Trinity Women’s Basketball, and Women’s 1st Volleyball were also granted an exemption to continue with training, matches and events scheduled to take place on and off-campus.

Other clubs were subject to restrictions on training with more than 15 members, while upcoming fixtures were cancelled during Level Three.

Level Five restrictions were introduced on Thursday 22, placing strict limitations on most forms of social activity.

In Trinity, most teaching is being conducted online, with some essential in-person classes required for accreditation, such as labs, taking place on-campus.

The Library has remained open under Level Five, along with the student breakout spaces that were introduced on campus at the start of the semester.