First ever Trinity Arts and Humanities Research Festival begins

The festival, which takes place in the Trinity Long Room Hub this week, features events and speakers encompassing a diverse range of disciplines

The first ever Trinity Arts and Humanities Research Festival takes place this week in the Trinity Long Room Hub.

The festival will run until Friday, with events taking place throughout the week. Most events are free to attend without prior registration, with certain evening events requiring ticket registration.

On Monday, the festival began with a discussion titled “What have the Arts and Humanities ever done for us?”, in conversation with Provost Linda Doyle and Trinity Long Room Director Professor Eve Patten.

The festival will conclude on Friday with an already sold-out event titled “Sláinte! Would you drink beer from 1574?”. The event includes the premiere of the new documentary from FoodCult Project, Drunk? Adventures in Sixteenth-Century Brewing, followed by a discussion between Associate Professor of History Dr Susie Flavin, documentary project leader and producer Shreepali Patel, and food historian Marc Meltonville.

Lunchtime talks are given by professors on each day between 1pm and 2pm, as well as morning opportunities for PhD candidates to share condensed three-minute versions of their research. On each day, there are “Coffee Morning Conversations” led by two scholars that will give members of the community a chance to share their thoughts. 

Trinity professors from across various disciplines are participating as speakers. 

Launching the festival, Professor Patton described it as an “opportunity to celebrate the range of research taking place across Trinity’s Arts and Humanities schools, representing over twenty disciplines.” 

Patten also highlighted that the final night of the festival coincides with the START (Start Talking About Research Today) European Researcher’s Night, a continent-wide event dedicated to education on research.

“We’re delighted to be collaborating with START on this so that our week-long festival can dovetail with researchers across the university in bringing research to a public audience, and getting people involved and excited about what’s happening in Trinity,” Professor Patton continued.

Running alongside the festival is the Booth Banter initiative. The booths in the Arts Building are being occupied on each day from 10am to 4pm by researchers who will discuss and answer questions about their research. 

Full schedules for both the festival and the Booth Banter are available on the Trinity Long Room Hub website.