CSC provisionally recognises “record” nine societies

DanceSoc, PoolSoc and GeogSoc were regranted provisional recognition by the CSC having lapsed at the start of this year

A record-high nine societies were granted provisional recognition by the Central Societies Committee (CSC) for Hillary term, including three societies who were previously derecognised.

DU Dance, PoolSoc and the Geographical Society (GeogSoc), who were derecognised after failing to submit accounts for two years, were among 14 who applied for recognition by the CSC.

DU Dance Chairperson Lucy McQuaid told Trinity News that the society is “pleased to be officially reinstated and grateful to the CSC for their continued support throughout the process”.

The Ukrainian Society, Filipino Society, Turkic Society, TCD Women’s Network, Equality in Stem, eSports, and Pool Society were also granted provisional recognition by the CSC.

In a statement to Trinity News, the CSC said “the executive was impressed by the standard of presentation which was extremely high” and thanked the participating students for their “passion and dedication to society life in Trinity”.

The CSC is the College body responsible for the funding and recognition of societies on campus.

To be provisionally recognised, a society must present a petition with 200 staff and student signatures to the CSC.

Provisional recognition by the CSC lasts for eighteen months. Provisional societies are eligible for grants, excluding travel fees and room expenses.

To gain full recognition, societies must submit accounts of the income and expenditure of at least one year, a secretary’s report for the same period, a constitution and evidence showing that the society has 50 or more fully paid-up members.

If these accounts prove satisfactory, a society will be proposed for full status at a CSC AGM, and if approved will be given CSC voting rights as a full member.

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that two former societies had been regranted recognition, rather than three. Trinity News apologises for the error.