Trinity News receives six honours at first in-person SPA Regional Awards

Publications in Trinity received eight awards and honours overall

Trinity News received six honours, including one first-place winner, at the first ever in-person Student Publication Association (SPA) Regional Awards on February 2.

Trinity News Editor-in-Chief Kate Henshaw won the award for Outstanding Commitment, while Limerick Voice Editor Molly Cantwell was Highly Commended.

Features Editor Ruby Topalian received two honours: a Special Mention for her October 2023 article The USSR flag and student communism: A controversial combination, and Highly Commended in the Best Journalist category.

Arts and Culture Editor Jayna Roshlau also received a Special Mention in the Best Journalist category.

Trinity News also received a Highly Commended for Best Digital at the awards ceremony, with the award accepted by Managing and Social Media Editor David Wolfe.

Other Trinity publications and writers who received honours include University Times Editor Clara Roche for Best Journalist,  Kiran Singh from the University Times for the Highly Commended article Racism, Mental Health, and the Urgent Call for Change in Trinity’s Counselling Services and TCD Misc for Highly Commended in Best Publication.

The College Tribune from University College Dublin (UCD) won Best Publication, while the Limerick Voice won Best Digital.

Hosted in the Graduate Memorial Building, publications from Dublin, Limerick and Belfast gathered for the SPA’s first ever in-person Regional Award in Ireland.

Hosted by Trinity News, a panel featuring Irish journalists and media professionals also took place ahead of the awards ceremony.

Bauer Media Audio Ireland Chief Reporter Barry Whyte, Kinzen founder and former Irish Independent Journalist Áine Kerr and formal Assistant News Editor for The Journal and author Aoife Barry spoke at the panel hosted by Henshaw.

Getting into student journalism, the changing structure of media with the growth of the internet, and how to stay motivated in the profession were discussed at the award.

The SPA also held Regional Awards in the UK, covering Scotland, Wales, London, the midlands and the southeast and the southwest.

The student publication organisation will host its annual conference and awards for students in the UK and Ireland in Bristol from April 12 to April 14.

Nominations for the award ceremony in Bristol are now open and will close February 19.

Ellen Kenny

Ellen Kenny is the current Deputy Editor of Trinity News and a Senior Sophister student of Politics and Sociology. She previously served as Assistant Editor and Features Editor