People Before Profit TD: Trinity protestors “on the verge of a meaningful victory”

Bríd Smith TD visited the ongoing encampment this evening and will raise the protestors’ demands in the Dáil this afternoon

People Before Profit TD Bríd Smith praised the ongoing encampment in Trinity, saying protestors are “on the verge of a meaningful victory”.

The TD visited the site of the Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) and Trinity Boycott, Divestment, Sanction (TCD BDS) protest yesterday evening, commending protestors for “standing against genocide”.

“It’s wonderful to see,” she told Trinity News, praising the “organisation” of the protest and the amenities offered such as books, board games and large amounts of food.

“But the message is the most important thing and that is about boycott, divestment, and sanctions on Israel.

“It couldn’t come at a more important time, because as we speak, Rafah is being invaded by the IDF.

“Some families are for the sixth time packing up everything and moving in Gaza.

“This has been a war on women and children. So what is happening here, and what is spreading throughout colleges and academia generally across the world, actually, is really important.”

She also praised protestors following College announcing it will divest from Israeli companies on the United Nations blacklist and set up a taskforce to review its academic ties with Israel.

“Fantastic progress could be made, if not on the verge of a victory of winning real, meaningful change in terms of the relationship between Trinity and the Israeli state and Israeli industry,” she said.

Smith said she will bring up the encampment in the Dáil this afternoon while the order of business is being discussed.

Smith, who will have one minute to speak, said People Before Profit has brought “bill after bill” to the Dáil in recent years calling for sanctions on Israel.

“I’m going to raise this with the Dáil tomorrow and say, by the name of God, if young people in this country can do and achieve so much, why are we, with all the wages and resources that we have, sitting on our hands and doing absolutely nothing while this genocide continues?” she said.

“It’s absolutely imperative that the Irish government are forced to implement serious sanctions that will make Israel sit up and listen, because they’re not listening.”

Smith said her party also wants to see the expulsion of Israeli Ambassador to Ireland Dana Erlich.

She also said a protest calling on the Government to cut ties with and condemn Israel will take place outside Leinster House at 1pm.

Ellen Kenny

Ellen Kenny is the current Deputy Editor of Trinity News and a Senior Sophister student of Politics and Sociology. She previously served as Assistant Editor and Features Editor