Trinity announce library closures amidst BDS encampment

College have closed the libraries, sports centre, Book of Kells and Pavilion Bar until further notice

College announced this afternoon the indefinite closure of its libraries, citing the ongoing BDS encampment in Fellows’ Square. 

In an email to students and staff, College said: “As you will be aware, a BDS encampment is taking place in Fellows’ Square.”

“Trinity supports the right to peaceful protest and there are many good reasons why the university’s policies, including health and safety, dignity and respect, must be followed when doing so.”

It went on to say that “access to campus has been restricted to students and staff with valid college ID cards only”.

College said it has “not made this decision lightly but felt it was necessary following calls for external groups to join the encampment protest, and the protest outside Front Gate this afternoon”.

This demonstration outside Front Gate this afternoon was organised by the Ireland-Palestine Solidarity Campaign to support the ongoing encampment. 

College claimed they “regret” closing all college services but said “the safety of all is our priority and unfortunately it has had a direct impact on our students and staff”.

“Our libraries, Kinsella Hall, the 1937 Reading Room, Sports Centre, Book of Kells experience and Old Library and Pavilion Bar are closed until further notice.”

The Arts Building is also closed, however College said those who need access can speak with the attendants at the Arts Building reception area.

Trinity also announced that on-campus activities scheduled to take place this weekend have been “cancelled, postponed or, where possible, relocated”.

“Please note that student spaces in House 6 and the GMB remain open providing access to toilet facilities.

“Residents who have requested guests thus far will still be allowed access, but no new requests will be approved until further notice.”

College have been contacted for further comment. 

The encampment by Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) and TCD BDS began at 8.30pm last night in Fellows Square when approximately 60 students set up tents.

The protesters are calling on College to cut its ties to Israeli institutions such as Tel Aviv University, as well as institutions blacklisted by the United Nations.

Aoibhinn Clancy

Aoibhínn Clancy is the Deputy News Editor of Trinity News and is currently in her Junior Sophister Year studying History and Political Science.