Trinity Ball 2012 line-up announced

Friendly Fires, an alternative dance band from the United Kingdom, have been announced as headliners for the 2012 Trinity Ball. The band joins a line-up that includes Marina & the Diamonds and hip-hop acts Labrinth, Professor Green and Rizzle Kicks.

The full announcement was made on the Trinity Ents Facebookpage in the early hours of Monday morning. “I think it has something foreveryone” Ents officer Chris O’Connor told Trinity News, “It might just be the best line-up yet.”

Having released their second album, entitled Pala, to considerable critical success last May, Friendly Fires recently ended an international tour that saw them play a series of concerts in venues such as New York’s Central Park and London’s Brixton Academy that should mean the band are more than prepared toheadline the Trinity Ball.

UK hip-hop act Labrinth, who is set to release his debut album Electric Earth late next month,is another rising act that will be headlining this year’s ball. Despite his single “Earthquake” becoming the second highest selling number two of the year,the musician is still largely unknown in Ireland.

But while the headliners of previous years tended to be established and recognisable names from the UK hip-scene such as Dizzee Rascal and The Streets, this year the Ball’s organisers have chosen a more diverse selection.

While this does mean there is greater genre diversity in the line-up, it also means many may not have heard of all the headliners. “I don’t know a lot of songs from Marina & the Diamonds” fourth year student Annelise Berghenti told Trinity News,“but I really like her song ‘Hollywood’ so I’ll probably try and see her on thenight”.

But not all students were as optimistic about this year’s line up.“Underwhelmed and unexcited” was how final year student Aoife Crowley said she felt after hearing the full line-up, before pointing out that considering the ticket cost she would like to have seen a more high-profile act on the bill.

Aside from the headliners, a number of other bands will beplaying the ball including Erol Alkan, rapper Dot Rotten and Dublin band The Original Rudeboys. Also joining the line up are Trinity Orchestra, fresh from their successful Pink Floyd concert last week.

“We’re delighted to be asked toplay the ball,” Peter Joyce, Auditor of Trinity Orchestra, told Trinity News, “the orchestra is really on an upward path at the moment.”

Although the previous two years have set new records for ticket sales, whether a more diverse line-up will see a greater influx or less interest remains to be seen.

The Trinity Ball will be held on April 20th and the full listof acts playing as well as interviews, profiles and advice can be found in The Ball Guide, produced by Trinity News and out on campus now.

What do you think of this year’s line-up? Tell us your thoughts by taking our short survey. Just click this link! http://www.trinitynews.ie-content/uploads/wp/wp-content/uploads/wordpressarchives/3893