TCDSU moves to spend €17,560 on student laptop scheme and TBSI student space

Tonight’s SU Council voted in favour of the two motions

The first Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) Council of 2019 saw a motion introduced by TCDSU President Shane De Rís on Trinity’s laptop rental scheme. The scheme would require the release of €10,000 from the Higher Education Authority (HEA) fund to purchase 17 laptops. This scheme was first introduced last year to allow students to rent laptops for short periods of time. However, according to the mandate the computer apparatus is “no longer fit for purpose” and additional funding is required. The motion was passed at council tonight.

De Rís commented: “The laptop rental scheme was an immensely popular initiative but the equipment has depreciated and is no longer fit-for-purpose. It is important we invest in such equipment to ensure students have access to laptops in order to complete college work.”

In the same council session, a second motion was introduced by the TCDSU President to ensure that an additional €7,560 be released from the same fund for the completion of the Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute Student Space. The motion was also passed tonight.  

The project has already received significant funding from the School of Medicine but according to the mandate extra funding from the HEA is necessary to “ensure its completion”.

Speaking in favour of the motion, De Rís stated: “The funding of the TBSI student spaces will secure the provision of extra spaces for students to use. We have a significant deficit of such spaces and it is important that we ensure all are to a high standard.”

Victoria Mitchell

Victoria Mitchell is a former Deputy News Editor for Trinity News.