Luke Rynne Cullen sanctioned by TCDSU Electoral Commission

Rynne Cullen received a minor strike this afternoon

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) Ents Officer candidate, Luke Rynne Cullen, has received a minor strike this afternoon by the Electoral Commission (EC). However, he will receive no penalty for the strike.

Speaking to Trinity News, Rynne Cullen explained: “A person posted in a TCD nurses group [sic] asking people to vote for me today, I was unaware of this and apologise to other candidates for this.”

This is Rynne Cullen’s second minor strike of the campaign. Speaking to Trinity News about his first strike last Wednesday, Rynne Cullen said: “So it was a minor misunderstanding, we are allowed to tag artists for my event in Wigwam, but they’re not allowed to co-host it. The reason we had them as co-hosts is so their Spotify music linked to their Facebook page is shown on the event to give people a chance to see the amazing line-up we have in store.” As a result of the first minor strike, Rynne Cullen’s campaign Facebook page was offline for two hours.

The news of the strike emerged in an email statement this afternoon by Chair of the EC, Stephen Sheil. The EC is the body that oversees and regulates TCDSU elections, and does not provide information as to what the strike relates to.

Today is the last day of voting in this year’s TCDSU sabbatical officer elections, following an eleven day campaign which started last Monday. The results will be announced tonight.

Niamh Lynch

Niamh was Editor of the 65th volume of Trinity News. She is a History and Politics graduate.