Old Library, TAP, and E3 Institute to gain from €400m fundraising campaign

College launched call for donations to new fundraising campaign today

Trinity has launched a €400m fundraising campaign today in a bid to fund projects across the university, with €272m raised to date. The campaign, which has already attracted donors from 68 countries, marks the largest philanthropic education campaign in Ireland of its kind.

The campaign, known as “Inspiring Generations”, aims to develop Trinity’s projects in a move to attract academics and students from around the world. 42,933 donations have already been made by 10,244 donors globally, with College hoping to raise an additional €128m during the public phase launched today.

Speaking at the launch, Provost Patrick Prendergast said: “‘Inspiring Generations’ will advance Trinity into the next decade and lay the groundwork for us to inspire generations to come.”

Funding is to be allocated towards the Trinity St James’ Cancer Institute, the Engineering, Environment and Emerging Technologies (E3) Institute, and the conservation and redevelopment of the Old Library.

The Old Library is to be redeveloped to protect and conserve the Library and its collections, as well as introducing a new Research Study Centre and integrating new digital technology.

“We are dedicated to pursuing innovation in education and research, and fearlessly advancing the cause of a pluralistic, just and sustainable society,” Prendergast continued. “‘Inspiring Generations’ will enable Trinity to achieve these ambitions and inspire generations to come. Our vision is by no means wholly dependent on philanthropy, but Trinity would not be the place it is today without support from alumni and friends of the University,” he outlined.

Additionally, funding is to be given to student scholarships and new academic posts. The Trinity Access Programme (TAP), which was founded 25 years ago, is set to expand its outreach under new funding.

Senator and former Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) President Lynn Ruane outlined that TAP allowed her to access “an educational experience that has quite literally changed [her] life”.

“Education has had a transformative influence on my life,” Ruane said. “I hope that this campaign will help provide access for many more to benefit from this unique Trinity education.”

Chair of the Provost’s Council, Fergal Naughton, explained that “Trinity has a history of innovation, inspiring people to change the world” and that donations would “allow Trinity to pursue ambitious initiatives that anticipate emerging global trends and develop solutions for society’s most pressing challenges”.

Alongside donations, the campaign hopes to draw in 150,000 volunteer hours.