Lauren Boland elected editor of Trinity News

Boland is the paper’s current deputy editor and will begin her tenure as editor on May 13

Lauren Boland has been elected the next editor of Trinity News at the paper’s annual general meeting this evening.

Boland, who ran unopposed for the position, is the paper’s current deputy editor and a former news editor.

Boland will serve as editor for the 2020/21 academic year, the 67th volume of the newspaper.

The vote to elect Trinity News’ next editor was held as a secret ballot among editorial staff, following a Q and A session conducted over a Zoom call due to the shutdown of College caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Boland is a Senior Sophister English and Sociology student and has also served as deputy editor of TN2 magazine, current affairs editor of Trinity FM, and chair of the Trinity Publications executive committee.

Boland’s tenure as editor will begin on May 13.

Speaking shortly after her election, Boland said that she is “absolutely delighted and honoured to have been elected editor”.

Boland stated: “My time in Trinity News has been the highlight of my college experience, and I’m excited to be in a position to provide the opportunity to be involved in Ireland’s oldest student newspaper to other students over the next year. Working with our current editor, Aisling Grace, and everyone on the team this year has been a pleasure, and the hard work and dedication of the entire staff has been especially evident in the difficult circumstances of the last few weeks while the college is shut.”

Boland added that she is “looking forward to another exciting year of high-quality journalism and strong editorial stances”.

Trinity News’ current editor Aisling Grace congratulated Boland on her election saying: “Lauren will be an amazing Editor. She excelled as News Editor and was supportive to the whole staff as Deputy Editor this year. I’m delighted to be passing on the newspaper to such capable hands.”