Trinity ranked 191st by the Irish Times Top 1,000 companies in turnover

College is growing as Ireland’s second largest non-profit in the Republic of Ireland

In the Irish Times Top 1,000 Companies today, Trinity has been ranked 191st in Ireland by turnover and 49th by number of employees. 

This makes College the second largest non-profit business in the Republic of Ireland.

Statistics released in the Irish Times Top 1,000 today showed College had a turnover of €404.2 million in 2019, up from €387.9 million in the previous year. 

There was also a €5.9 million profit on the 2019 year’s statement, which is up from €1 million in 2018.

The number of employees in College has also increased from 4,300 employees in 2018 to 4,549 in 2019, making it 49th in the Republic of Ireland by number of employees.

Apple was the highest grossing company in the Republic according to the report, followed by Google and Microsoft. Apple had a revenue almost equal to the rest of the top five companies combined. Its turnover fell from €119.2 billion last year to an estimated €116.8 billion in 2019. 

An article in the Irish Times announcing the list today expressed that companies can expect to take a hit in the upcoming year due to the Covid-19 pandemic. 

Advertising revenues slowed down to a near standstill during the month of March. Apple also experienced a strong slowdown of smartphone sales during the same month.

The sectors expecting the hardest hit in the upcoming year are travel and tourism. Due to Covid-19 restrictions, travelling has been reduced to only essential travel, with more people choosing to work from home. 

Airlines like Ryanair and Aer Lingus are expected to receive a huge loss in revenue over the next year also. 

Trinity is expected to face a loss in the upcoming academic term, as fewer international students are expected to begin their studies in Ireland this September.

The Irish Universities’ Association (IUA) has called for a €20 million advertising campaign to attract international students to Irish universities  to be included in the next programme for government. 

The IUA has estimated that universities will fall short of €181 million in international fees income in the next academic year. This prompted the proposed €20 million ad campaign to be funded by the government to attract overseas students.