Campaign group call for TCDSU to support Irish unity at banner drop

The campaign is currently 30 signatures away from triggering a referendum on the union’s stance on Irish unity

A campaign group has called for Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) to support a united Ireland at a banner drop at Front Gate today.

TCD for Unity dropped the banner from the window of Regent House this afternoon to raise awareness of their petition to create a long-term policy  in the union supporting Irish reunification.

According to campaigner Patrick Keegan, the petition to create a long-term policy has gained 220 signatures so far. 

To trigger a referendum to introduce an LTP in the union, 250 signatures are required.

“We believe that we need to start having the important conversations around Irish Unity as it continues to seem more and more likely every day,” Keegan said.

He noted colleges including University College Dublin, Dublin City University and University College Cork have “already come out in favour of reunification, and it’s well past time for us to do the same”.

The proposed long-term policy states: “TCDSU expresses its support for the reunification of Ireland, and will actively and inclusively campaign for Irish unity with recognition for all communities on this island.”

The petition notes that partition has failed “both North and South” Ireland.

“On this small island of 7 million people, we have two separate (and failing) health, transport, and education systems.”

“Reunification would give us all the opportunity to reimagine our country, and to tackle the issues that face everyone on this island. A reunited Ireland is our chance to build a new, fairer, and more inclusive society.”

A motion brought to TCDSU council in February 2023 calling for a referendum to support reunification failed after a heated debate between members.

Although the motion received a majority of votes from members, it failed to secure the two-thirds majority required to go to a member-wide referendum and so failed to pass.

Those against the motion said to enact an LTP of support for Irish unity, without knowing what exactly that may look like, was “in itself is incredibly dangerous”.

Ellen Kenny

Ellen Kenny is the current Deputy Editor of Trinity News and a Senior Sophister student of Politics and Sociology. She previously served as Assistant Editor and Features Editor