TCDSU funding to fall by nearly €50,000

In proposed allocations of funding for capitated bodies seen by Trinity News, funding is expected to decrease by approximately 14.6%

Trinity College Dublin’s Students’ Union (TCDSU) is expected to be dealt with a cut of €49,861, approximately 14% of its former budget.

This follows the union’s budget last year increasing by approximately €15,000.

A document seen by Trinity News shows that capitated bodies are set to lose 14.6% of their annual funding from College, as committee members of capitated bodies are set to meet with College tomorrow to discuss their finances.

Dublin University Clubs Association Committee (DUCAC), are set to lose €54,298. The Committee receives 30.41% of the total capitation funds.

Similarly, the Central Societies Committee (CSC) makes up 30.76% of the distribution, and is set to lose €54,923 in funding in the upcoming year.

Both capitated bodies had seen relative increases in the last few years, however cuts are planned due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the distribution of college life. 

The Graduate Students’ Union (GSU), which accounts for 6.82% of the annual budget, is set to lose €12,177 compared to the funding given to the union last year.

Trinity Publications accounts for 4.11% of the annual funding given to capitated bodies, and is expected to be cut by €7,339.

Overall, funding to capitated bodies in college is expected to be cut by €178,553 following tomorrow’s meeting.

TCDSU recorded a deficit of nearly €50,000 in the financial year ending June 2020, with Covid-19 bringing a “very negative effect” to the union’s commercial operations. The union’s excess of expenditure over income for the 2019/2020 year was €49,803.

Last year, TCDSU recorded its first surplus in four years, with an excess income of €35,522.

Conversely, the CSC reported a surplus for the first time in years this year. The committee, which governs College’s societies, had a surplus of €8,312 for the year ended August 31st 2020, compared to a €25,090 deficit the year before. The committee has returned a deficit for every year since 2016/17.