Petition launched to save Trinity’s Science Gallery

The nonprofit gallery will reportedly close because of its financial unviability

A petition has been launched to save Trinity’s Science Gallery. 

College will reportedly close the Science Gallery by next February as a result of its financial unviability, the Business Post reports.

According to Business Post’s article, the gallery’s closure during the pandemic is “playing a role in the decision”.

The gallery reopened to the public on October 22 with its most recent exhibition ‘BIAS: Built This Way’. 43 exhibitions have been displayed to over 3 million visitors since its opening in 2008.

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) have expressed anger at the closure of the gallery on Twitter. They wrote: “Shocking news from [College] today. [The gallery] is an essential cultural space for our campus and our city.’’

TCDSU’s senior sophister class representative for Irish, Cúnla Morris, has started an online petition demanding College to not close the gallery. The petition states: “Closing the Science Gallery affects all of us, in Dublin and beyond, and strips away another aspect of accessible education and recreation.’’

“Trinity College Dublin, we demand a solution. Don’t let down your students, your visitors, your staff, and your city”, it continues.

The petition has over 800 signatures as of today.

Science Gallery Dublin belongs to the Global Science Gallery Network developed by College in 2012, with the support of Google.org. The initiative oversees the development of further galleries in locations all around the world. The first new gallery opened in London in 2018.

Speaking to Trinity News, College have said they have no comment on the Gallery’s reported closure at this time.

Bella Salerno

Bella Salerno is currently a Deputy News Editor of Trinity News. She is a Senior Fresh Middle Eastern, Jewish and Islamic Civilisations and French student.