Law professor accused of murder to return to court this week

Dr Diarmuid Rossa Phelan will return to court on Monday regarding an application to amend his terms of bail

Law professor Dr Diarmuid Rossa Phelan, who faces a charge of murder, will return to court on Monday, when an application to vary the terms of his bail will be heard.

Phelan has not been required to attend court recently, but a judge at Dublin District Court said he must attend the hearing to amend the terms of his bail.

Phelan is accused of murdering Keith Conlon in a shooting incident at Hazelgrove Farm, Kiltalown Lane on February 22.

The book of evidence in the case is expected to be served on October 3.

Phelan was initially refused bail in March and deemed a “flight risk” by the High Court. He was later released on a €100,000 bond with a range of conditions.

President of the Court of Appeal Justice George Birmingham said that Diarmuid Rossa Phelan enjoys the presumption of innocence and that he is a “a person of good standing in the community” who has never been convicted of an offence previously.

According to the terms of Phelan’s bail, he must obey a 10pm to 8am curfew at a garda-approved address, sign-on daily at a garda station, and be contactable by mobile phone at all times. Phelan had to give gardaí access to all his Irish and foreign bank accounts, and he must stay out of Tallaght, out of his properties in Wexford and have no contact with prosecution witnesses in the case.

Phelan will remain on bail until his trial date, which has not yet been fixed.  It is not yet known what terms of Phelan’s bail are to be appealed.

In May, the court suspended Phelan’s bail terms to allow him a “short trip” for two days with his family. Most conditions of his bail remained in place, and Phelan was required to surrender his passport, was not permitted to leave the state, join a gun club, or purchase any firearms. He was also instructed to stay out of Tallaght and his properties in Wexford.

Ellen Kenny

Ellen Kenny is the current Deputy Editor of Trinity News and a Senior Sophister student of Politics and Sociology. She previously served as Assistant Editor and Features Editor