College announces over 50 new Sports Scholars

Scholarships were awarded to student from a diverse range of sports including rugby, basketball, GAA, rowing, hockey, and cricket

College has unveiled the list of students awarded Sports Scholarships for the 2022/23 academic year.

22 students were awarded with College Sports Scholarships for a diverse range of sports including rugby, basketball, GAA, rowing, hockey, and cricket.

Several of those awarded scholarships are international athletes, including World Silver Medallist for hockey, Katie Mullen, and three senior international rugby players on provincial teams Ryan Baird, Joe McCarthy and Kathryn Dane.

Irish Senior Cricket players Rebecca Stokell and Leah Paul, Irish Senior Basketball players Dayna Finn and Sarah Kenny, and Irish Senior Volleyball players Lara McNichols and Grace Maloney have received the scholarship as well.

There are three recipients of the Trevor West Sport Scholars Award, including Gavin Hoey for cricket, Harry Sheridan for rugby, and Sadhbh Doyle for soccer.

Two K.O Lee Scholarships were also awarded to Giulia Anderlini and Niamh Kenny, for basketball.

29 Club Academy scholarships have also been awarded.

Matthew Dosset, the Deputy Director of Sport and Physical Activity of the college, said: “We’re delighted to announce a very strong calibre of scholars for 2022/23.  With eleven sports represented and a diverse range of internationally recognised and developing athletes.”

Dosset congratulated the “strong calibre” of athletes, noting that “improving our capability to attract and support talented athletes is a key objective for Trinity Sport, and this continual process will ensure that Trinity remains a strong destination of choice for the very best student athletes both domestically and internationally”.

Alongside financial support, the scholars will all receive specialised strength and conditioning training, as well as a dedicated medical care pathway and lifestyle and nutritional support to aid them with their athletic careers in Trinity. This welfare concern was observed by Dosset.

“The ever-improving standards of the support structure available to our highest performing athletes and teams in Trinity has enabled a continued growth in applications.”

The awards ceremony for the Scholars is to be held on Monday the November 21. After the ceremony, a panel discussion involving student athletes will be held named Dual Career: Combining Sports and Studies.