Trinity to review Israeli ties, condemns “onslaught on Gaza”

College will also divest from its Israeli investments in Occupied Palestinian Territory

College has said that it “welcomes reports of Gaza ceasefire. Trinity condemns the onslaught on Gaza and supports International Court of Justice’s finding on genocide”. 

In a statement this evening, it has pledged to establish a taskforce investigating its academic ties with Israeli institutions following a meeting with representatives of the ongoing encampment by Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) and Trinity Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS). 

The taskforce will have an external chair and will include student representatives. College states the task force is in the interest of preserving “academic freedom” and how to engage in matters of human rights. 

“Some colleagues will see value in maintaining a free exchange of ideas; others will feel deeply uncomfortable having any relationship at all,” College said.

“These conflicting perspectives must be explored in a formal setting.”

In a statement posted online, College also outlined its plans to divest from its Israeli investments in Occupied Palestinian Territory.

The divestment process is expected to be completed by June and will target groups that appear on the UN blacklist.

It also said eight Palestinian students have been placed on Trinity courses and that “more will follow”. 

All fees for these students will be waived with College using its Sanctuary Fund to provide accommodation for these students.

These students have been selected in collaboration with We Are Not Numbers (WANN), a youth-led, Palestinian non-profit project in Gaza, and other international stakeholders.

Discussing the genocide in Gaza, College said: “The humanitarian crisis in Gaza and the dehumanisation of its people is obscene”.

“We support the International Court of Justice’s finding that ‘Israel must take all measures within its power to prevent and punish the direct and public incitement to commit genocide in relation to members of the Palestinian group in the Gaza Strip” it continued.

The meeting between College and protestors was held following the encampment beginning on Friday evening demanding College divest from Israeli universities and institutions and condemn Israel.

College states that it “sought the meeting to discuss the issues raised by protestors and to facilitate the return to normal university services for all staff, students, and members of the public”.

It has also asked representatives to encourage non-students and non-staff to leave the encampment.

College has asked that student representatives remove the benches currently being used to prevent entrance to the Book of Kells, but said they could use another form of blockade.

Beginning with 60 protestors, numbers have since grown to roughly 100 students and 70 tents

Gabriela Gazaniga

Gabriela Gazaniga is the Deputy Editor of News Analysis and is currently in her Junior Sophister year earning a degree in Law.

Alan Nolan Wilson

Alan Nolan Wilson is the current News Analysis Editor of Trinity News, and a Junior Sophister Geography and History student. He previously served as Correspondent for College.

Ellen Kenny

Ellen Kenny is the current Deputy Editor of Trinity News and a Senior Sophister student of Politics and Sociology. She previously served as Assistant Editor and Features Editor