Global perspectives at launch of Trinity Frontier Magazine’s third issue tonight

The magazine will host Irish Times foreign affairs correspondent Ruadhán Mac Cormaic in the Global Room

A collection of writing on international issues, global perspectives and travel is about to hit the campus as the third issue of Trinity Frontier Magazine is set to be launched tonight in the Global Room.  

Not content with simply a few bottles of wine and scattered magazines, the publications editor, Neasa Candon, has invited a guest speaker:  Irish Times foreign affairs correspondent Ruadhán Mac Cormaic. The journalist should be of particular interest for those in attendance, due not only due to his expertise in the interest area of the magazine, but also because of his connection to Trinity.

His first foray into publishing was in Trinity News and he is expected to discuss his progression from student to professional journalism, along with some of his career highlights to date. His presence at the launch speaks to the ambition and the professionalism of the magazine.

Aside from an enjoyable night of discussion with Mac Cormaic and a flick through the publication’s illustrious contents, however, the launch will provide an opportunity for aspiring writers to chat with the publication’s editors. Trinity Frontier Magazine was first launched in January, and its cohort of contributors has been growing ever since. Students can write under three sections: Politics and International Relations, Society and Culture, and Travel.

The publication’s content is diverse and insightful, ranging from academic examinations of German politics and the relationship between Denmark’s happiness levels and its social structure, to photo essays and poetry. Always on the lookout for budding writers, Candon spoke of her ambition for the magazine this year.

The large number of international student who write for the publication bring a “diversity of thought and approach” to the publication, she said.  “By allowing for variety of form and content, we hope to make Trinity Frontier accessible to students of differing writing styles and levels of experience.”

“We also hope that, by incorporating travel, political and social perspectives into one publication it would encourage students to take a more holistic view of world events. For example, noticing the social factors at play in an area travelled to, questioning how social and cultural factors shape political movements, crises or decisions, or considering the lived experiences of those affected by certain policies and political decisions,” said Candon.

Whether you’re interest has been peaked as a potential reader or writer of the publication, the launch of the third edition of Trinity Frontier Magazine looks set to be an eye-opening and enjoyable evening.

Aisling Grace

Aisling Grace was the Editor-in-Chief of the 66th Volume of Trinity News. She was also formerly Online Editor and Deputy News Editor.