Limerick students able to track academic progress using new app

Students of Mary Immaculate College will be able to track their progress towards their degree

An app that allows students to track their progress towards their undergraduate or postgraduate degree on a phone or tablet has been launched at Mary Immaculate College, Limerick (MIC). 

The Student Advantage app also outlines what actions can be taken by the app’s user to assist the student in performing at their best academically. It allows students to see what grades they have achieved throughout the academic year and send instant messages requesting additional support.

The launch of the app is part of a move by the college giving students wider access to information on their mobile devices, as well as allowing them to make course choices and see module information on their phones. The college hopes that this move will reduce the burden on administrative staff and make college life easier for students.

The whole system is hosted by the collaborating company Capita, which will take care of support and updates. The college argues that this will allow IT staff within the institution to focus on other projects to benefit and enhance student experiences.

Kieran Pearse, director of information and communications technology (ICT) services at MIC, said: “Our students increasingly want to be in the driving seat when it comes to managing their studies and we want to do all we can to support them in achieving their full potential while they are with us.”

Trinity has its own app, Trinity Myday, which allows students to view their timetable, access their Trinity email account and view their library account information, among other features. However, it cannot allow the user to track their academic progress, make choices relating to their module or send messages.