Trinity ranks top in Ireland for graduate employability in THE rankings

College has risen from 131 to 120

Trinity has climbed 11 places since last year in the latest Times Higher Education (THE) global employability rankings, increasing from 131 to 120. Trinity is the only Irish university to place within the top 150 institutions across the world for graduate employability.

Trinity’s Director of Careers Orla Bannon stated: “Trinity students and graduates continue to be highly employable with transferable skills that are valued by employers.” Bannon also articulated Trinity’s aim to focus on developing connections between employers and students in innovative ways to prepare students for their career and the workplace.

THE compiled information given through surveys by 7,000 recruitment and international managers from major businesses.

Vice-Provost Professor Christopher Morash said Trinity wants students “to develop their skills and graduate attributes to succeed in their studies and in their careers”.

“They are therefore prepared for the ever-changing challenges of the 21st-century workforce,” Morash continued. “Today’s ranking is a testament to their hard work in achieving that.”

Universities on the THE rankings represent 41 countries, with the employers surveyed coming from a multitude of different countries. Many smaller European countries have done increasingly well over the past few years with Switzerland holding seven institutions in the ranking and the Netherlands having six.

The United States and the UK have seen a decrease in the number of their institutions featured in the rankins, with the United States losing 21 institutions while the UK has lost five since 2011. Recent years have seen an increase in the number of East Asian institutions featuring in the rankings.

THE Data Editor, Simon Baker, explained that the institutions which rise the quickest in the rankings are “those that focus on equipping their graduates with skills that recruiters’ favour”, noting examples of “softer skills” like teamwork and industry experience.

Trinity rose 23 places this year in Education in the latest THE subject rankings, from 99 last year to 76. College also saw a rise in its Social Sciences rankings, climbing up the ranks from 126-150 to 101-125.­ Its position in the Business and Economics rankings has remained stable in the 151-175 bracket, while it fell 15 places in Arts and Humanities.

Shauna Bannon Ward

Shauna Barron Ward is a staff writer at Trinity News. She is a Junior Sophister Law student.