TCDSU continues to push for greater availability of gender neutral bathrooms

SU President Kieran McNulty launches petition to extend access to gender neutral bathrooms to TBSI

tbsi_webNEWS

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) President Kieran McNulty has launched a petition for the College Board to create gender-neutral bathrooms in the Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute (TBSI) on Pearse Street following the implementation of three gender neutral bathrooms in the Arts Building during the Michaelmas term. This process began with former Welfare Officer Conor Clancy, and came to surface with current officer Aoibhinn Ní Lochlainn in September.

In the last TCDSU Council in December, a motion was brought by LGBT Rights Officer Sean O’Carroll to mandate that gender neutral bathrooms are available at all TCDSU events where feasible. The motion was passed and now TCDSU are mandated to work with College to have gender neutral bathrooms available in every college building.

These actions follow other third-level institutions in providing gender neutral facilities, with the National University of Ireland, Galway and University of Limerick being among the first to introduce them.

The letter of the petition insists on the importance of this for the college, stating: “the SU in Trinity stands for equality and supporting all our students. This is a case of respecting all our students’ needs.”

Editors

Niamh Lynch
Kelly McGlynn
Michael Foley
Katarzyna Siewierska
Clare McCarthy

Aisling Crabbe
Natalia Duda
Sarah Morel
Mike Dolan
John Tierney
Naoise Dolan
Sarah Larragy
Mubbashir Ali Sultan
Nadia Bertaud
Daniel Tatlow

Kevin O'Rourke
Ines Niarchos
Huda Awan