Trinity Sport announces 63 new scholars

The scholars include Olympic hopefuls, inter county players and world champions

Trinity Sport has announced its 63 sports scholars for 2017/18. Included in line-up is a world champion, several inter-county players and a pair of Olympic hopefuls.

The scholarships are run in association with Bank of Ireland. Among other benefits, the scholarships offer a dedicated medical care pathway, specialised strength and conditioning training, and financial support.

Aoife Hopkins, the current Under-21s European ladies radial champion, was one of the Trinity Sport scholars announced. Aoife is expected to qualify for the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.

In addition, the list includes Cian O’Sullivan, Fionn O’Riain Broin and Aisling Mahee, three inter-county hurling and camogie players for Dublin.

World and European taekwondo champion Ellen Ince has also been awarded a scholarship alongside Lorcan Tucker, junior player of the year for Cricket Ireland and the highest run scorer for Ireland at the U19 World Cup.

Four Ireland U20 rugby players were also included. Making the list are rugby players Jack Kelly, Michael Silvester, Max Kearney and Jack Dunne. 26 of Trinity’s other rugby players were also recognised for their performance throughout the year.

Following the unveiling of the scholarships, Deputy Head of Sport and Recreation Matthew Dossett stated that the number of applicants this year demonstrated “the highest level of interest the programme has ever received, and underlines the further enhancements made to the services, support, expertise, and facilities, which are tailored to those on a high performance pathway.”

He spoke of the assets Trinity Sport possess which attract young athletes. “In particular, the introduction of the new Sports Performance Development Officer post, and other vital support staff, is fundamental to our ability to attract and support athletes of the highest standard”. The position of Sports Performance Development Officer was created earlier this year. Ross Hamilton currently holds the position.

An event was held in the Public Theatre at the end of November to celebrate the scholars. The event was attended by the governing bodies, coaches and parents.

Peter Kelly

Peter Kelly is the current Assistant Editor of Trinity News. He is a Junior Sophister Law student, and a former Deputy News Editor.