Voter turnout up by 20% in TCDSU elections

3,678 students vote in this year’s sabbatical elections and preferendum

Voter turnout in the Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) sabbatical officer elections, and preferendum on supplemental exam fees and modular billing, has increased by over 20%.

3,768 voters were cast in this year’s six elections, amounting to an increase of 20.8%. 3,120 votes were cast in last year’s elections.

This year’s elections have been more contentious than the last, with just two uncontested races in comparison to four last year. In addition, the allegations of sexual harassment against former Presidential candidate Sean Ryan, the campaign to vote to re-open nominations (RON) in the Presidential race, as well as the preferendum are all thought to have increased voter turnout.

This followed nearly 1,700 votes being cast in the election on the first day of voting on Tuesday. Voting opened in Trinity Hall on Monday evening and in the Arts Building, Hamilton, D’Olier St and St James’ Hospital on Tuesday. Voting finished at 4pm this afternoon.

Speaking to Trinity News, TCDSU Education Officer Alice MacPherson said: “The increased turnout is really pleasing to see. It was important for the Union to break the trend of decreasing voter turnout. While I’m sure many will try to claim credit for this positive news, the substantial work put in by the Comms and Marketing Officer and I cannot be understated. We are delighted to see our hard work pay off. I would hope to see future officers build on our work and secure consistently increased turnout over the next number of years.”

Niamh Lynch

Niamh Lynch

Niamh is a 3rd year History and Political Science student and current Deputy Editor of Trinity News.
Niamh Lynch

Jenny Corcoran
Harriet Bruce
Isabelle Griffin
Maha Sultan
Megan Luddy
Lucie Rondeau Du Noyer
Amanda Cliffe
Constance Millar
Nicole O'Sullivan
Chloe Aitken