Trinity to partner with one of Vietnam’s largest universities

The deal relates to the new Bachelor of Business Studies programme

Trinity College Dublin will partner with University of Economics Ho Chi Minh City (UEH) following President Michael D. Higgins’ State Visit to Vietnam, it was announced today.

The agreement signed by Trinity and UEH regards the recently introduced Bachelor of Business Studies programme. This agreement will see Vietnamese students spending their final two years of study in Trinity having first completed two years at UEH, graduating with a Trinity Bachelor of Business Studies degree. The signing ceremony was organised by Enterprise Ireland and the Embassy of Ireland in Hanoi. The Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade, Charles Flanagan TD, was also in attendance.

President Michael D. Higgins spoke highly of the partnership, maintaining that it is excellent for UEH, Trinity College Dublin and for Ireland. He went on to say: We look forward to welcoming these Vietnamese students to our country where they will benefit from a high calibre Irish third level education from our leading university. They will also enjoy a full student life in a diverse and inclusive campus.”

Vice President for Global Relations, Professor Juliette Hussey, also expressed delight over the collaboration. She emphasised the uniqueness of the Trinity Specialist Business Degree, claiming that it is designed for students who focus on business from the very beginning of their degree. She further stated: “Academic excellence meets industry experience in this dynamic programme where innovation and entrepreneurship are also key components.”

UEH is one Vietnam’s largest universities in business administration and economics, renowned for producing policy makers and experts in economics and business administration.

The Irish visit to Vietnam also resulted in an agreement between the Trinity Centre for Biodiversity Research and the Vietnam National Museum of Nature. The purpose of this partnership is to “strengthen and promote cooperation in biodiversity research in Vietnam, particularly in the areas of Botany, Geography, Geology and Zoology.” It will support joint field-work, publication of research, specimen exchange, as well as exchange of staff and students, consultancy and support for the development of a botanic garden in Vietnam.

The Vice President for Global Relations, Profession Hussey, and the Director of Global Engagement, Entreprise and Development, Simon Williams, also engaged with academic and industry collaborators in Vietnam. In 2016, Trinity won a grant under the Vietnam Ireland Bilateral Exchange programme to encourage collaborations between Vietnamese and Irish universities. Trinity has a number of exchange collaborations between the School of Medicine and hospitals in Vietnam. Each year up to ten undergraduate students in Medicine and Physiotherapy participate in elective clinical placements in Vietnam.