This week in Trinity: Iskra Lawrence, repairing clothing and picking mushrooms

Academic discussion is so hot this week, but sadly not as hot as the planet.

Week four is here. You’ve gotten a reminder from academic services that your fees must be paid pronto, and a week packed with thrilling events to distract yourself. This week there are, of course, an abundance of varied and exciting society events to look forward to- so keep those eyes peeled and those library hours firmly procrastinated.

Tuesday
On Tuesday, Lit Soc and the Russian Society will be collaborating to bring students a talk entitled Literary Censorship around the World: Russia. This will be the first in a series of talks which will investigate censorship of literature in a number of countries.

Wednesday

DU Botanical society will be taking an autumnal field trip to Phoenix Park at 5 pm, where the hunt for mushrooms will take place. Mushroom picking is a great way to get out into nature, and you will be rewarded aplenty- wild mushrooms cooked in butter is a revolutionary dish. Then at 7 pm, DU Archaeological Society is hosting what seems to be a workshop on swords. If you’ve ever had a knightly itch, it could be the time to scratch it.

Thursday
Join Lit Soc in the atrium at 11.30 am for a fortunate discussion of Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events aptly titled, An Unfortunate Event. Body positivity influencer and model, Iskra Lawrence will also be addressing the Phil at 2 pm. She will be discussing her career in an image obsessed industry and her work in covering new ground in the fashion industry as a “plus sized” model. In other artistically inclined news, DU Classical Society will be embarking on a tour of the National Gallery at 2.30 pm. Then that evening, there will be two environmentally focused talks proceeding. At 6 pm DU Photography Association (DUPA), Trinity Free Legal Advice Centres (FLAC), and TCD Environmental Society will be putting on an exhibit entitled Environment. In their own words, the event will feature “hard-hitting photography” and “peNg refreshments”, so surely it is an event not to be missed. The following hour BioSoc will be putting on an event in a series of Focus Series Talks entitled The Climate Crisis and Global Health.

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that Iskra Lawrence would be addressing the Phil on Wednesday instead of Thursday.

Gráinne Quigley

Gráinne Quigley is a Deputy Societies Editor for Trinity News.