CSC will not elect new chairperson until after beginning of term

A by-election for the vacant positions of chairperson and treasurer will be held at the CSC Michaelmas Term General Meeting

The Central Societies Committee (CSC) will not be electing a new chairperson until the committee’s Michaelmas Term General Meeting, which takes place after the beginning of term.

The honorary treasurer, Ronan Hodson, will instead serve as acting chair for the remainder of the summer period. The honorary treasurer is a position on the CSC fulfilled by a member of College staff who works in conjunction with the treasurer, usually a student, in overseeing the financial affairs of the CSC and university societies. Hodson has held this position since 2011.

The role of chairperson is ordinarily held by a student, for a term of one year. The chair is responsible for chairing meetings and the overall running of the committee, but also acts as a student voice on the CSC.

The role of chair has been vacant since April 14 when Eleanor Moreland stepped down from the role, having been elected to the role at the CSC AGM on April 4.

The role of treasurer also remains vacant, the CSC having received no nominations for the position by the AGM in April. In accordance with the constitution, a member of the Executive was appointed to the position of treasurer until a by-election is held.

Nominations for the position of both treasurer and chairperson will be open at the beginning of Michaelmas term, to be voted on at the CSC Michaelmas Term General Meeting.

In a statement to Trinity News, the CSC claimed that “the presence of an elected, or indeed appointed, Chairperson of the Committee is not necessary for business to progress”. Citing Section 6, subsection 5 of the CSC constitution, the statement continued: “The quorum at meetings of the Executive shall be in excess of half the current voting membership, always providing the presence of two of the vote bearing Officers of the Committee.”

The statement concluded: “The business of the CSC Executive is progressed upon the basis of collective responsibility, and it exercises the authority of the Committee, the Officers have duties within the context of the Executive but not individual authority.”

“The CSC Constitution guarantees the functioning of the Executive and the Committee, and it ensures that the organisation is sufficiently robust to deal with numerous [contingencies] including the unexpected resignation or absence of elected officers.”

The CSC is the governing body responsible for the oversight and funding of societies on campus.

The CSC is one of Trinity’s five capitated bodies, the other four being Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union, the Graduate Students’ Union, Dublin University Central Athletic Club and Trinity Publications.