Law professor accused of murder granted temporary relaxation of bail conditions

The terms of bail were relaxed despite Dr Diarmuid Rossa Phelan having previously been deemed a flight risk

A Trinity law professor accused of murder has had the terms of his bail amended to allow him to take a “short trip” with his family.

Diarmuid Rossa Phelan, 53, an associate professor in Trinity, was previously subject to a 10pm to 8am curfew and had to sign on daily at a Garda station.

A variation of these terms was sought by Phelan’s defence counsel. On Wednesday, the defence was granted relaxed bail terms. Judge Bryan Smyth noted that there were no Garda objections to the motion and lifted the terms for two days.

The other bail conditions remain in place and so Mr. Phelan must still remain contactable on the phone, stay out of Tallaght and his properties in Wexford, and Gardaí must have access to his bank accounts.

Phelan was told to surrender his passport, and is not permitted to leave the state, join a gun club, or purchase any firearms.

Phelan was previously deemed a flight risk by the High Court, before being granted bail of €100,000 by the Court of Appeal.

Phelan has been charged with the murder of father of four Keith Conlon, 36. Conlon was shot in the back of the head during an incident on a farmland in Tallaght in February.