NiteLine: Support for Students by Students

Erika Carroll outlines her work as a NiteLine Volunteer

I’m sure you’ve seen the stickers in the bathroom stalls or the posters around the arts block,  but what exactly is NiteLine? NiteLine is a student listening service offering support for students by students. Whether you’re going through a break-up, feeling stressed, experiencing suicidal thoughts or just want someone to listen, NiteLine is here for you. It’s a safe space for students to vent and chat every night during term from 9pm-2:30am. 

Celebrating our 30th Anniversary in 2023, student mental health is our priority. Many students are struggling with exam stress, financial issues or loneliness, issues that have been exacerbated by the pandemic. No problem is too big or too small for our volunteers. 

NiteLine stands by 4 pillars: We are anonymous and confidential, meaning that anything the caller and volunteer talks about will stay within the call. We’re also non-judgmental and non-directive. We don’t offer advice, allowing the caller to lead the call, listening to their problems the way they want to talk about them.

With our free instant messaging and phone call service, NiteLine reaches over 100,000 students across our 8 affiliated colleges; TCD, DBS, NUIM, NCAD, RCSI, TUD, UCD and DCU. We currently have over 100 call-taking volunteers from our affiliated colleges, varying in their backgrounds, countries, courses and ages. NiteLine volunteers undergo over 24 hours of training before they begin to ensure that they are equipped with the skills to effectively deal with any type of call. As ‘you can’t pour from an empty cup’, volunteer wellbeing is paramount. High quality support is provided including bi-weekly counsellor facilitated support meetings, emergency counselling and peer debriefing. 

The skills I have learned as a NiteLine volunteer can certainly be applied to my own relationships.”

Volunteering with NiteLine has been one of the most rewarding aspects of my college life. Being surrounded by such passionate and kind individuals, I have made the most incredible friends and have gained invaluable experience. The skills I have learned as a NiteLine volunteer can certainly be applied to my own relationships. Volunteering has reinforced the importance of regularly checking up on my friends. As everyone deals with certain situations in their own way it can often feel difficult to start the conversation about mental health, however you cannot underestimate the power of reaching out and even providing a silent presence for a friend who may be going through a rough patch. 

Being a call-taking volunteer has helped me to become comfortable with silence. Oftentimes we are so intent on filling “awkward” silences that we may rush to say the wrong thing. The power of silence is one of the most effective skills of active listening, the concept of listening to understand rather than listening to respond. Active listening is one of the most important skills obtained by NiteLine volunteers. 

If you would like to find out more about NiteLine or are interested in volunteering  you can check out our website or Instagram (@nitelinedublin), and I couldn’t recommend it enough. We also have lots of exciting workshops and events organised in Trinity for this semester, including our fundraiser Incognito Ball on February 22nd –  Keep an eye out! 

If you are ever feeling like a chat or need to get something off your chest, don’t hesitate to pick up the phone to free call us on 1800 793 793 …”

If you are ever feeling like a chat or need to get something off your chest, don’t hesitate to pick up the phone to free call us on 1800 793 793 or shoot us a message online at niteline.ie. There is always someone at Niteline to listen.