Delayed start for first years unlikely to change, College statement indicates

College have welcomed today’s government announcement, but said that the release of results must return to usual pre-pandemic dates

A statement from College indicates that a delayed start for first years is unlikely to change despite today’s announcement that Leaving Cert results will be released at the end of August rather than early September.

Speaking to Trinity News, a spokesperson for College said that while it will consider the impact of the results date on next year’s timetable, “it must be noted that a significant amount of time and effort has gone into planning the structure of the coming year already”.

Though College welcomed the confirmation of the date as a “move in the right direction”, it said: “We remain of the view that, in the interests of students most of all, the timing has to return to the pre-COVID situation.”

Though the confirmed date of August 25 is a week earlier than last year’s release date, it remains significantly later than pre-pandemic norms, with results being released on August 13 in 2019 and August 15 in 2018.

According to College’s academic calendar for 2023/24, which was last updated on May 5, Junior Fresh students will begin lectures on 25 September, two weeks later than other undergraduate students.

With the Department of Education intending to retain the supplemental Leaving Cert exam period introduced during the pandemic, it remains to be seen whether the results date will be brought forward any further in future years.

David Wolfe

David Wolfe is a Junior Sophister student of History and Political Science. He is the current Social Media and Managing Editor of Trinity News, having previously served as News Editor, Assistant News Editor and copyeditor.