Discovering the Dolomites: A Summer Escapade Like No Other

An ode to the Dolomites.

As the summer period slowly finds its way towards its end, I find myself reminiscing more and more about the incredible moments I experienced at its start. One particular moment I nonetheless recall ever-more vividly than the rest: an impromptu hiking trip through the Bolzano area of the Dolomites. In effect, though the weather was unfortunate, and of an appearance I would rather cast out of mind, the views I had the utmost pleasure of observing all-throughout will forever remain cherished within. 

My alpine escapade, however, only made me want to know more. I wanted to know what exactly made the Dolomites, the Dolomites?

Going there, I could only recall a few class-room factoids germane to the Dolomites: they were named after its formation-rock; the range was birthed on the Adriatic plate – a continental crust that broke-off from the African continental plate during the Cretaceous period – ; and it lay in what is now the north-eastern part of Italy. Like most, I equally knew that the range famously and perpetually stood as a geological marvel; one comprising a unique blend of towering limestone peaks, lush valleys, and picturesque landscapes, presenting a rather distinctive appearance – that is, one entirely unlike its surroundings, and one which bears an alluring geological significance. My alpine escapade, however, only made me want to know more. I wanted to know what exactly made the Dolomites, the Dolomites? The answer, one may have correctly suspected, is thousandfold; but, given the rather short scope of this article, I will only be able to address two points, nevertheless the two most sacrosanct:

(i): How did these resplendent mountains form, and;

(ii): What life do they harbour?

(i) Formation

The formation of these awe-inspiring mountains dates back millions of years and is the result of intricate processes involving ancient oceans, tectonic movements, and natural forces. The Italian Dolomites were birthed on the Adriatic plate, a continental crust that broke-off from the African continental plate during the Cretaceous period. Indeed, during the Triassic Period (approx. 200 million years ago) the region wherein the Dolomites are currently situated – that is, the north-eastern part of Italy –  was submerged underneath the vast and shallow Tethys Ocean.

Within this marine environment, tiny organisms called phytoplankton and algae gently went about their lives, unknowingly accumulating dense layers of calcium carbonate on the seafloor. With time, these layers of sediment compacted and solidified, eventually forming a type of limestone via a chemical interaction between magnesium-rich seawater and calcium carbonate. This peculiar limestone we now know as dolomite is itself named after Déodat Gratet de Dolomieu, a French Geologist who was credited with first identifying the range sometime in 1798. 

Coevally with the occurrence of African-European tectonic movements and collisions, the Tethys Ocean began to recede and changed its boundaries. With this, vast carbonate platforms emerged. This process was kindly buttressed ancient stromatolite reefs, the presence of which contributed towards the accumulation of dolomite-rich sediments. Thereafter, those same tectonic forces began uplifting the seabed. 

In order to eventually transform the region into resplendent range know and adore, millions of years’ worth of glaciers, rivers, and weathering processes evidently had to take place

Erosion had now come the fore: in order to eventually transform the region into resplendent range know and adore, millions of years’ worth of glaciers, rivers, and weathering processes evidently had to take place. These worked tirelessly to sculpt the limestone peaks and carve out deep valleys. The abrasive action of ice and water wore away the softer rocks, leaving behind the more resistant dolomite formations, which now tower above the valleys in stunning formations (e.g., the Three Peaks of Lavaredo, or the the Sella Group). Further, the rock’s unique properties make it more resistant to erosion than other types of limestone, thus efficiently preserving the ranges’ stunning vertical faces.

(ii) Life on the Dolomites  

Whilst the formation of the Dolomites remains a geological wonder, its vibrant flora is principally what made the site a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2009. One of the most striking aspects, I find, of the Dolomites’ flora diverseness, as well as is its ability to thrive in extreme environments. Indeed, the mountains’ high elevations (which range from 1,500 to 3,000 meters above sea level) present significant challenges to plant life, including harsh climatic conditions and limited soil availability. However the plants, in all their might and intelligence, have evolved remarkable strategies to cope with these challenges.

Beginning therefore with the former aspect – at lower altitudes, the valleys are often adorned with lush meadows and dense forests. Here, wildflowers such as the Alpine aster (Aster alpinus) and edelweiss (Leontopodium nivale – which many will recall to be the title of Captain Von Trapp’s mellifluous serenade in The Sound of Music ) blanket the landscape, endowing the greenery with most vibrant splashes of colour. These plants have adapted to the temperate climate and are well-suited to thrive in the nutrient-rich soils of the valleys. The edelweiss, in particular, holds a special place in local culture and is often regarded as a symbol of the Dolomites.

As we ascend higher into the mountains, the landscape transitions into Alpine zones, and the latter aspect of my amazement becomes ever-more evident. These areas are effectively characterized by cooler temperatures and reduced atmospheric pressure, making it increasingly challenging for plants to survive. Nonetheless, hardy species like the Alpine snowbell (Soldanella alpina) and the mountain avens (Dryas octopetala) have evolved to become well-suited to such conditions. The Alpine snowbell, for example, with its bell-shaped white flowers, often appears in rocky crevices and protected spots; while the mountain avens form low, creeping mats with beautiful yellow flowers.

Above the treeline, where the climate becomes even harsher, the Alpine flora enters a realm of awesome adaptation. Low-lying shrubs like the dwarf willow (Salix herbacea) and the Alpine bearberry (Arctostaphylos alpina) are able to withstand the extreme cold and wind. Also, cushion plants, by the likes of the Alpine saw-wort (Saussurea alpina) and the Alpine azalea (Rhododendron ferrugineum), form dense, compact clumps that protect them from more pernicious elements. These cushion plants are slow-growing, long-lived species, and their growth patterns contribute to the delicate ecosystem of the high-altitude regions: e.g., through reducing wind erosion by trapping snow, conserving heat, and enriching the soil through the decomposition of their organic matter.

Rare and endangered plant species equally add to the ecological significance of the region. The Dolomite bellflower (Campanula morettiana) and the yellow vanilla orchid (Nigritella rhellicani) [pictured below] are two examples of plants that find refuge in the unique microclimates created by the mountains. 

Appreciating the scientific process underpinning the magnificence of the range I had the fortune to explore played a crucial part in my admiration for the Dolomites. My only hope is that it may likewise do the same for you

With that, our scientific tour of the Dolomites comes to a halt. Though brief, I have endeavoured to share with you only the most important aspects of the Dolomites, concerning both their formation and the life they sustain. Appreciating the scientific process underpinning the magnificence of the range I had the fortune to explore played a crucial part in my admiration for the Dolomites. My only hope is that it may likewise do the same for you.

Sébastien Laymond

Sébastien Laymond is the Editor of the 'SciTech' column for Trinity News, and is currently in his Junior Sophister Year reading law.