Club notes, Issue 2

There’s optimism across College for major sporting success this season. Should you want to be part of it, most clubs are still accepting signups for “taster” memberships via Fixr.

Aikido

DU Aikido was established last year, meaning 2022/23 was the first season which saw many participants learn Japanese grappling self-defence techniques. DU Aikido will this year train on Wednesdays, from 4- 6pm at Bell Centre Webster Gym. In order to join the club, join its GroupMe at https://groupme.com/join_group/89208174/mnkktJ0l, and follow their Instagram @trinityu_aikido to stay up-to-date. Contact [email protected] for more information.

American Football

DU American Football will train every second Saturday of the year, commencing on September 16 in Santry Sports Grounds from 11am – 2pm, with both new and experienced players welcome to participate in both Flag and Kitted Football sessions. The 2022/23 season saw DU American Football compete at Intervarsity and Division 2 National League level. In order to get more information and join the club, email [email protected] or contact the Instagram page @tcdaf.

Athletics

The ‘Harriers’ or distance group will train four times weekly this year – Mondays and Thursday easy run from the Science Gallery at 6pm, Tuesdays 6pm in College Park, and Saturdays 10am at Magazine Fort, Phoenix Park for a hill session. The Track & Field group will train on Mondays from 6:30pm – 8pm and Wednesdays from 7:30pm-9pm in College Park. The 2022/23 season saw the ladies’ team claim a fantastic bronze at the IUAA cross-country championships, while a squad training trip to Lanzarote was a highlight for many members. DU Athletics are best contacted via Instagram @trinity_athletics, where you can also sign up to the Fixr membership through the link in bio, or alternatively email [email protected]

Badminton

DU Badminton enjoyed some great successes in 2022/23, reaching the finals of the Student Sports Ireland competition and the quarter-finals of Intervarsities. Competing in the Dublin League, the ladies’ team saw a win in the Division 5 final and a narrow loss for the Division 6 team in their final. Social badminton sessions also saw regular turnout of over 30 students. Training this year will take place at the Main Hall of the Trinity Sport Centre; on Tuesdays from 8pm – 10pm, Wednesdays from 8pm – 10pm, Fridays from 7am – 10am, and Sundays from 9am – 11am. A purchased Fixr membership will give you access to either the social or competitive side of the club, including the opportunity to try out for their competing teams. To get in contact with the club, reach out via Instagram to @tcdbadminton or email [email protected]

Camogie

DU Camogie trains on Mondays and Wednesdays at 7pm in Santry Sports Grounds, with a complimentary bus departing from Nassau Street at 6pm. DU Camogie enjoyed a stellar 202/23 season, reaching the semi-finals of the All-Ireland collegiate competition. For more information on DUCC, contact @tcdgaaclub on Instagram or email [email protected].

Climbing

Trinity Climbing/DUCC hosts climbing sessions twice a week at the climbing wall in the Trinity Sports Centre, on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7pm – 10pm. Belay training is sign-ups only and will take place from 6pm – 7pm on those evenings, while outdoor events take place periodically throughout the year and are announced in their emails and social media channels. The 2022/23 season saw a notable win for Trinity at the Irish Climbing Intervarsities in Belfast. For more information, contact the club at [email protected] or via Instagram at @trinityclimbing.

Fencing

For 2023/24, DU Fencing will train in the Ancillary Hall of the Trinity Sports Centre on: Monday, 8pm – 10pm and Friday, 3pm  – 5pm for Beginners; Thursday, 8:30pm – 10pm and Friday, 5pm – 7pm for Intermediates; Wednesday, 7am – 10am for the Development Squad; and Monday, 8pm – 10 pm and Thursday, 7am – 10am for the Senior Squad. Last season saw DU Fencing’s athletes take 77 medals at a variety of events around the country, as well as winning three out of six Intervarsity events, and defeating UCD “soundly” to retain the Colours trophy. For more information, contact the club via email [email protected], or reach out on Instagram to @trinityfencing. 

Gaelic Football – Men’s

DU Gaelic Football will train on Tuesdays and Thursdays this year, time and venue TBC. After a win in the Division 2 Fresher’s All-Ireland in 2021/22, hopes were high for a positive year for the club. Although silverware may not have been obtained, DU Gaelic Football embodied the notorious spirit of Trinity College GAA in many performances throughout the year. For more information on DU Gaelic Football, contact @tcdgaaclub on Instagram or email [email protected].

Gaelic Football – Women’s

DU Ladies’ Gaelic Football are yet to confirm training times for the 2023/24 season. However, over the 2022/23 season, Trinity LGFA fielded teams in Division 2 and Division 6 of the women’s collegiate competition, with the 1s reaching the quarter-final and the 2s putting in some great performances over the year. For more information on Trinity LGFA, contact @tcd_lgfa on Instagram or email [email protected]

Golf

DU Golf trains out of Portmarnock and Royal Dublin Golf Clubs, with the training schedule set to be finalised post-freshers’ signups. Intercollegiate matches take place regularly, and an annual highlight is a US tour, commencing this year on October 19, where they will compete against top universities such as Havard, Yale, MIT, and Columbia. Social outings are provided for golfers of all abilities, as well as nights out. For more information, contact the club via Instagram @dugolfclub, or reach out directly to secretary, Mikey Mina-Royanane at 087 390 9936. 

Handball

DU Handball trains on Tuesdays and Thursdays, in the Main Hall of the Trinity Sport Centre from  5pm – 7pm. A purpose-built handball/racquetball/squash alley under Printing House Square is currently under renovations, however training will hopefully move back there once completed. Only established in 2022/23, the club had a stellar season, with captain 2023/24, Cuileann Bourke travelling to Arizona to compete in the 70th USHA Inter-Varsity Handball Competition, as well as winning the One-Wall Women’s Open Collegiate Championships. To contact the club for more information, contact Cuileann Bourke, via email or phone – [email protected] & 086 2244 186, or reach out via Instagram to @tcdhandball. 

Hockey – Men’s

DUHC saw a positive 2022/23 season, with a number of integral new recruits to the Squad resulting in some big wins throughout the year and a strong league finish from all three teams. This year, DUHC 1s and 2s will train on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7:30pm – 9:30pm at the Santry Sports Grounds, while the 3s will train at 5pm on Wednesdays in Botany Bay. To join or contact the club, use Instagram @dublinuniversityhc or email [email protected].

Hockey – Women’s

DULHC will again train out of the Santry Sports Grounds this season. Sessions for the 1s will take place on Mondays and Thursdays from 7:30pm – 9:30pm, for the 2s on Mondays and Wednesdays from 7:30pm – 9:30pm, for the 3s on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6pm – 7:30pm, and for the 4s on Thursdays from 6pm – 7:30pm. Last season saw a record number of registration for DULHC, which resulted in four vibrant and active squads operating for the duration of the season. For more information, contact the club at [email protected] or via Instagram at @trinity_ladies_hockey.

Hurling

DU Hurling trains on Mondays and Wednesdays, time TBC, in Santry Sports Grounds. An action-packed 2022/23 season saw the Senior team reach the semi-finals of the Ryan Cup, losing out in a tough battle to MIC Thurles.For more information on DU Hurling, contact @tcdgaaclub on Instagram or email [email protected].

Judo

DU Judo trains thrice weekly, in Ancillary B of the Trinity Sports Centre – from 6pm – 10pm on Mondays, 9pm – 10pm on Wednesdays, and 6pm – 7pm on Thursdays. The 2022/23 season was full of highs for DU Judo, with many members passing their grading to advance to higher belts, as well as seeing significant growth in membership. The club also won five medals at Intervarsities and are hopeful for more success this year!  For more information, contact the club at [email protected] or via Instagram at @dujudoclub.

Karate

For 2023/24, DU Karate will train in the Ancillary Hall of the Trinity Sports Centre, on Tuesdays from 7:30pm – 9pm, and from 10am – 12pm on Saturdays. 2022/23 saw continued growth for the club, with a presence at both the Dublin Intercollegiate and Intervarsity competitions. The Fixr link can be found in the club’s Instagram bio @du_karate, and you can also email [email protected] for more information.

Rowing – Men’s

DU Boat Club trains daily, at the Boathouse in Islandbridge, the Trinity Sport High Performance Gym, and Blessington lakes. In the 2022/23 season, DUBC saw many notable successes, the highlight of which was a victory in the Men’s Club 8+ at the Irish National Championships in July. DUBC are accepting both beginner and experienced rowers and coxswains to their squad; for more information, contact @duboatclub on Instagram or email [email protected].

Rowing – Women’s

DU Ladies’ Boat Club trains daily, at the Boathouse in Islandbridge, the Trinity Sport High Performance Gym, and Blessington lakes. Over the 2022/23 season, DULBC’s Novices claimed many huge wins, including at the Colours Boat Races, the University Championships, and the National Championships, where member, Grace Healy also won the Intermediate 1x. DULBC are accepting both beginner and experienced rowers and coxswains to their squad; for more information, contact @dulbc_rowing on Instagram or email [email protected].

Rugby – Women’s

DUFC Women’s train at 7pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays in College Park. The 2022/23 season saw DUWFC take a big win in the Division 1 playoff final to retain their position in the Leinster League Division 1 for a second season. DUWFC are accepting both beginner and experienced rugby players to their squad; for more information, contact @trininitywomensrugby on Instagram or email [email protected].

Sailing

DU Sailing trains four times weekly from Royal St. George Yacht Club. The 2022/23 season was full of highlights, including a dominant win against UCD at the Intervarsity Colours Championships. To join the Club, stay up-to-date on its activities or get more information, check out the Instagram page @trinitysailing or email [email protected].

Snow Sports

DUSSC will be running dry slope training in Kilternan later in the semester, with date and times to be announced. In January 2023, DU Snowsports held their annual ski trip in Val Thorens, where 500 College students accompanied the club to the slopes to ski, snowboard and aprés to their heart’s content. To get more information, contact the club via Instagram at @dusnowsports.

Sub-Aqua

For experienced divers, registration is currently open until September 21st via Fixr. New divers can sign up to attend a Try Dive event on September 18 at the dusac.org website, before registration opens for new divers at 9am on September 21 – sign ups and induction will take place at 6:30pm that evening. For more information, contact the club at [email protected] or via Instagram at @dusubaquaclub, or check out the website dusac.org. 

Swimming

Training times are still being finalised for DUSC, but a highlight of their 2022/23 season was a celebration of their 125th anniversary, bringing past and present members of the club closer together for a successful year. To contact the club, check out their Instagram @duswimclub or email [email protected]. Their Fixr membership can also be accessed through their LinkTree, linktr.ee/duswim. 

Table Tennis

DU Table Tennis trains in Trinity Sport Centre’s Ancillary Hall B, on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 6pm – 10pm and Sundays from 11am – 1pm. 2022/23 saw a massive achievement for DU Table Tennis, with the ladies’ team winning the Intervarsity Ladies’ Team Cup. To contact the club for more information, email [email protected] or reach out on Instagram to @tcdtabletennis.

Tennis

DU Tennis will this year train on Fridays, 6pm – 9pm at Botany Bay for beginners; Wednesdays, 6pm – 9pm at Botany Bay for intermediates (TBC); and Mondays, 7pm – 9pm for advanced players. Over the 2022/23 season, Trinity Tennis enjoyed a fantastic year, coming third at the HEC European Championships at Roland Garros, while the ladies’ team reached the Irish Intervarsity finals. For more information, contact the club at [email protected] or via Instagram at @trinity.tennis.

Weightlifting

DU Barbell trains at the Ancillary Hall in Trinity Sports Centre from 2pm – 4pm on Tuesdays, from 11am – 1pm on Wednesdays, and from 7:30pm – 10pm on Thursdays. Over the course of the 2022/23 season, Trinity saw its members compete in European and World Championships, as well as bringing home a number of national titles for the club. In order to get in contact with the club, DM their Instagram @trinitybarbell, or email [email protected] or [email protected] to contact the President, Aisling Doherty-Madrigal, directly.

Wind & Wake

DU Wind & Wake’s training times are highly variable, given the weather requirements for safe participation. However, as much notice as possible will be given to members via the email list to members and on Instagram @trinity_wind_wake. Wakeboarding sessions will be held on weekends, with travel to Ballyhass Wakepark in Cork or Let’s Go Hydro in Belfast. Kitesurfing sessions will be held on Dollymount Strand, and windsurfing in Dún Laoghaire. The Fixr membership can be found in their Instagram bio, which you can also reach out to for any questions about the club – alternatively email [email protected]

Jane Prendergast

Jane Prendergast is Co-Sports Editor of Trinity News. She is a Junior Sophister student of Law.