College authorities respond to Palestinian flag drop

Security have removed Palestinian flags across campus

College security have responded to a Palestinian flag drop organised by Trinity Boycott, Divestment, Sanction (TCD BDS) and supported by Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU). 

The flag drop occurred this afternoon following a post on TCDSU’s Instagram story instructing those who live on campus to collect Palestinian flags from House 6.

Members of TCD BDS as well as TCDSU provided flags which were hung from windows in on-campus accommodation. Flags were also hung from the windows of student spaces such as House 6.

The event was organised in recognition of International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People.

Following the flag drop, members of College security were requesting students to remove the flags.

College authorities reportedly cited College’s General Regulations and Information which states that “Banners may only be erected with the approval of the Senior Dean, and in accordance with the Banners Protocol”.

An exception to this rule was made for Pride flags last year with Provost Linda Doyle saying that Pride flags are “always welcome” in College.

This decision was made following a controversy in which a senior member of staff was discouraged from displaying a Pride Flag

When contacted for a statement regarding the displaying of flags on campus, College referred to its Conditions of Occupancy for residents, which states that students may not display any “poster or advertising matter, or any placard, flag or banner outside.”

Responding to a request for a statement regarding the displaying of flags in non-residential spaces, College stated that the issue is being looked into and that residents have “been reminded by email of their conditions of occupancy in relation to banners and flags”.

Alan Nolan Wilson

Alan Nolan Wilson is the current News Analysis Editor of Trinity News, and a Junior Sophister Geography and History student. He previously served as Correspondent for College.