College to provide temporary bedding for students and staff on campus following riots in Dublin city

Trinity’s gates remain closed due to ongoing rioting

College said preparations are underway for students and staff to remain on campus if the need arises and that temporary bedding is being organised

In an email sent to students and staff, College said that they are “monitoring the situation” of the disturbances in Dublin city centre and that Trinity’s gates remain closed due to ongoing rioting.

Footage on social media shows multiple vehicles, including Garda cars, buses, and a Luas were set on fire by anti-immigrant rioters. Shops on some of Dublin’s main streets were reportedly also looted.

It also assured students that they would not be negatively impacted if they are delayed arriving to lectures as a result of the disruptions. 

House 6, the GMB, Kinsella Hall and the 1937 Reading Room remain open to students seeking safety overnight.

All Dublin Bus, Luas, and DART services are currently suspended. 

The unrest follows the stabbing of five people outside a primary school in the Parnell Square area earlier this afternoon. Two of the casualties, including a five-year-old girl, remain in critical condition in hospital. Gardaí say that a man in his 50s is a person of interest in the case.

It is understood that the attacker was stopped by 43-year-old Brazilian Deliveroo driver Caio Benicio, who, on seeing the assailant attack a young girl with a knife, dismounted his motorbike and hit the attacker with his helmet.

The rioting started in the O’Connell Street area, with hundreds of rioters shouting slogans such as “get them out” and “close the borders”.

Provost Linda Doyle condemned the far-right violence in the city and called students’ response to the unrest “amazing”. 

Members of Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU), the Phil and the Hist are offering support in House 6 and the Graduates Memorial Building (GMB).

College emergency contact no.: 01 896 1317