TCDSU condemns “disgusting behaviour of far-right rioters last night”

TCDSU have said that the “weaponisation of a tragic event to justify xenophobia and the destruction of our city is unacceptable”

Trinity College Dublin Students Union (TCDSU) has condemned the “disgusting behaviour of far-right rioters last night” and the “violent and hateful actions that occurred” in a statement this afternoon.

TCDSU said the “weaponisation of a tragic event to justify xenophobia and the destruction of our city is unacceptable”. They have emphasised that “the Irish have had a culture of emigration for over a century and have made our homes across the world; there is an inherent hypocrisy in saying Ireland is full”.

The statement also asked: “How does tearing apart, setting alight and looting the city make people feel safer?”

“We are incredibly proud of our campus community working with and coming together in a beautiful act of solidarity to provide food and shelter for the 100+ students who could not get home last night.”

They thanked “the Hist, the Phil, the CSC, and other societies and students who volunteered their rooms as places to stay overnight”.

Amid talk of “more protests happening within the coming week”, they are encouraging “students to do what they must to feel safe and for members of our POC community to exercise extra caution”. 

“We look forward to working with the College to improve their response to emergency situations and prioritising student welfare. The Union will always stand by its members, please remember that you are not alone.”

They conclude by saying: “TCDSU will always stand in solidarity with those interned in the Direct Provision System.”

The Union of Students in Ireland (USI) also issued a statement condemning the riots last night: “The Union of Students in Ireland is shocked and disgusted at the hate incited violence in Dublin city centre last night”.

“We send our love and support to anyone who was caught up in the awful violence, particularly students and people working in the area.”

They condemned, “in the strongest terms, the racism on display last night and encourages anyone affected to reach out for support”. 

“If you are a student, remember your Students’ Union is there for you. USI will continue to stand firmly against racism of any kind in our society. Ní neart go cur le chéile.”

College fully reopened this morning following a campus lockdown last night due to extensive rioting in Dublin city centre. Graduation ceremonies are also taking place on campus today. 

The scenes of violence have been widely condemned, with Garda Commissioner Drew Harris describing those carrying out the rioting as a “complete lunatic, hooligan faction”.

Messages of solidarity with immigrant and ethnic minority communities have been shared widely on social media, condemning racist sentiments expressed online in support of rioters.

Harris has said that 34 arrests were made during the unrest, 32 of which appeared before courts this morning.

Kate Henshaw

Kate Henshaw is current Editor-in-Chief of Trinity News, and a graduate of Sociology and Social Policy. She previously served as Deputy Editor, News Editor and Assistant News Editor.