Trinity welcomes Leinster Rugby to College Park

Full-force Leinster train with first XV after wekends’ loss in Armagh

Ahead of this Sunday’s URC clash with the Dragons in Newport, Leinster led an open training session with DUFC’s first XV on College Park last night. This comes after a disappointing run of loses for DUFC, losing 22-8 at home to Young Munster at the end of October and a 25-23 loss away to City of Armagh last Saturday.

After taking a quick ten point lead, thanks to a try off a maul from Aaron Coleman, Armagh fought back well to make it a five point game at half time, 13-8 to Trinity.

Armagh took the lead in the second half with a try off a maul from Jonny Morton, which was duly converted by Brayden Laing, however DUFC responded well, with out-half Colbert getting the next score for Trinity, in the form of a penalty kick at goal.

Trinity put themselves a seven point lead with another try off a maul, this time scored by sub Oscar Cawley with the try converted by Colbert. However, DUFC wasn’t to score again for the remainder of the match, while Armagh scored twice; first a penalty off the boot of Laing and then a converted try from Jack Treanor.

Trinity had a final chance to win with a last minute penalty from distance, however it wasn’t to be.

Leinster coach Leo Cullen with his back-room team after the session, photo by Rory O’Sullivan Sexton

How have Trinity not won a match?

That brings us to Tuesday night, where Leinster’s Senior team showed up, in full force, to College Park for their 6pm session. The session took the form of simulated in-game scenarios, with College and Leinster alternating between attack and defence. While contact was limited, the exercise was played at full pace, with the Trinity attack in particular showing promise against a superior, professional side.

A good crowd, including Provost Linda Doyle, turned up to watch the occasion, filmed in full by two Leinster drones flying overhead. Afterwards, as players filed into the Pav for the finest of chicken curries, the general consensus from the Leinster camp was one of surprise that Trinity hasn’t won a match yet.

Speaking to Trinity News, Leinster and Ireland scrum-half Jameson Gibson-Park was happy with his first run out in College Park, describing it as an “awesome experience to come here and get a run out with the Trinity boys, who are decent”. Upcoming scrum-half Cormac Foley echoed these sentiments and was impressed with the “in-town [location] with all the old buildings around is a scenic setting”.

Trinity welcome Ballynahinch to College Park on Saturday, November 11, kicking off at 14:30.

4th XV beat UCD in Belfield

Congratulations are in order to members of the 4th DUFC XV who beat UCD away last Saturday, with the score at full time 20-15. After a string of loses which showed serious potential, DUFC got its first victory of their Metro Division 9 campaign in style, with a dominant display in Belfield.