Christmas tree lighting to take place today following delays

The annual lighting was scheduled to take place on November 27, but was delayed due to unrest following the Dublin following riots

The Christmas tree lighting on Front Square will take place today at 4.30pm following delays caused by the Dublin riots, Provost Linda Doyle has announced.

The lighting was originally scheduled for November 27, but was delayed due to unrest following the Dublin following riots on November 23.

In an email sent to students and staff just after 1pm today, Doyle said students from the Trinity Centre for People with Intellectual Disabilities will switch on the lights.

Mince pies and refreshments will be served in the Buttery from 4pm and the College Singers will sing Christmas carols during the event.

After the lighting, an art exhibition Beyond Boundaries: Art Unleashed with the Trinity Ability Co-op and Trinity College Dublin Students Union (TCDSU) will open in An Mheitheal in Printing House Square from 5.30pm to 7.30pm.

A post-lighting ‘Winter Wonderland’ organised by Trinity Ents, TCDSU, the Hist, the Visual Arts Society and the Fashion Society was scheduled to take place in the Graduate Memorial Building on November 27, but was delayed along with the lighting.

The event was officially cancelled last week.

Ellen Kenny

Ellen Kenny is the current Deputy Editor of Trinity News and a Senior Sophister student of Politics and Sociology. She previously served as Assistant Editor and Features Editor