Former College Facilities Officer Joseph Mockler imprisoned for seven years

Mockler was found guilty of abusing two boys between 1987 and 1988

Former College Facilities Officer Joseph Mockler has been imprisoned for seven years.

Mockler was charged with four counts of indecent assault between 1987 and 1988.

Mockler’s two victims had been between the ages of 14 and 16 at the time of the assaults. Both victims knew Mockler through his role as a sports coach.

Mockler had been employed by College as Facilities Officer. The role included a variety of ceremonial duties which made Mockler a well known face across campus. These duties saw Mockler in attendance at graduation ceremonies and Schols announcements.

When asked for a comment on Mockler’s role within college, a spokesperson for College said: “This individual was an employee of the university but is no longer employed by Trinity.”

Mockler was sentenced by Judge Elma Sheahan last Monday. Speaking at the trial, Sheahan highlighted the severity of the crimes saying that Mockler had used recreational sport to “take advantage of the boys”.

Sheahan also highlighted Mockler’s offering of alcohol to the boys as well as the age disparity between the victims and the accused.

The court heard how Mockler had repeatedly taken advantage of the boys at his flat. The boys had been touched inappropriately and sexual acts were performed on the boys. Both of Mockler’s victims have opted to maintain their anonymity.

Sheahan sentenced Mockler to five years in prison and five and a half years in prison in relation to the offences against each respective complainant. 

Sheahan reduced the second sentence to three years, giving Mockler an eight year sentence. The final year of Mockler’s sentence was suspended on the condition that he place himself under the supervision of the Probation Service for one year following his release.

Mockler was convicted by a jury of two counts of indecent assault in relation to each of the victims.

The court has heard that Mockler does not accept the verdict of the jury.

Alan Nolan Wilson

Alan Nolan Wilson is the current News Analysis Editor of Trinity News, and a Junior Sophister Geography and History student. He previously served as Correspondent for College.