Google Drive access to be removed from alumni email accounts

Alumni email storage will be capped at 5GB due to fees introduced for Google Workspace

Alumni will no longer have access to Google apps such as Google Drive through their College emails in the coming months due to fees introduced on Google Workspace, College has announced.

In an email sent by Trinity Alumni and Development on January 15, alumni were informed that the digital storage for all alumni accounts would be capped at 5GB.

Previously, Google Workspace offered unlimited digital storage for all alumni email accounts. Fees on storage were introduced in 2021.

Access to Google Photos will be shut down on March 24 and access to Google Drive will be suspended on April 30.

New files or media cannot be created in Google Photos or Google Drive in alumni accounts after February 6.

Previously existing content will still be accessible up to the respective deadlines of these Google Apps.

Alumni have been advised to download all relevant content before the suspension of the service.

College has employed tech company CTS to provide support to alumni adapting to the upcoming storage changes.

Further information is available at Trinity Alumni Email Service User Guides & FAQs for concerns about reducing current storage.

College alumni are not alone in being restricted in using their email accounts. In October 2022, University College Dublin (UCD) alumni were informed they  would not have access to their email accounts after January 2023, despite assurances that they would be able to access their alumni email account for life.

According to UCD, the service was discontinued for alumni due to low usage of the service, potential security issues and GDPR requirements.