College drops public opposition to Metrolink plans

College previously submitted a request to An Bord Pleanála that the project be diverted from Trinity

College has withdrawn its opposition to the proposed Dublin Metrolink project after an agreement with Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) was reached.

A spokesperson confirmed to Trinity News that College “supports the Metrolink project”.

“It has reached an agreement with Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) on the issues raised in its recent submission in respect of the Draft Railway Order Application made by TII,” they said.

“The university is satisfied that its key concerns have been addressed.”

College previously submitted a request that the Metrolink be diverted from its proposed route due to concerns over the impact of the metro on scientific equipment.

The submission claimed that the proposed route of the Metrolink could have “significant potential to constrain or sterilise” the college’s “core academic and research activities”.

It outlined concerns about “significant effects” on equipment on campus from electromagnetic interference and “ground-borne noise and vibration” caused by both the construction and the operation of the Metrolink.

This could have further “significant, adverse, permanent and unacceptable impacts on the University”, the submission claimed, particularly citing “research facilities” on the east end of campus.

Trinity stated that 312 metres of the route would pass under the main campus, and requested a “realignment”, moving the track 61.5 metres west of its proposed position.

The Dublin Metrolink was first proposed in 2000, and Trinity’s stance on the project dates back to at least 2018, when it began engaging with Transport Infrastructure Ireland in relation to the Environmental Impact Assessment Report.

This report identified potential negative impacts for Trinity buildings such as the Lloyd and Panoz institutes, respectively.

Trinity is not the only body to voice concerns for the project. Residents of Ballymun and representatives of a planned Lidl in the area have opposed the current plans at a Bord Planála hearing.

The Metrolink is projected to cost approximately €9.5 billion, and Minister for Transport Éamon Ryan expects the plans to be “through the Oireachtas […] by Easter”.